FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 03, 2024, 03:54:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Removing control arm pivots  (Read 2531 times)
Fast_Eddie

Body by Holden. Soul by Fast Eddie.

View Profile
« on: February 17, 2004, 10:44:16 AM »

Hello,

Any tips on removing the lower control arm pivots that pass through the crossmember?

I'm putting new ones in an HR front end, and am guessing that they unscrew, but don't want to push it in case I strip the thread in the crossmember?

Regards

Ed

ACE
Guru

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2004, 10:38:18 PM »

Hi Edward,
Yes they do unscrew!
I wouldn't replace the control arm shafts unless they are worn! Some of these can be a real bugger to get out! Sad
If  you have a FE-FC workshop manual it is explained in detail in section 3-15 page 68,69,70 (Its basically the same for HR control arm shafts.) If you've got a HR workshop manual it is explained in section 3-18 to 3-19.
There are a couple of special tools required for this job that you may have to borrow or make to do the job properly.
Hope this helps.
Regards ACE Cool
« Last Edit: February 17, 2004, 11:06:37 PM by ACE » Logged
Fast_Eddie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2004, 08:27:01 AM »

Ace,

Thanks. I consulted a manual (FB in this case - all I could find at a pinch), and all is clear.

The removal tool looks like it can be substitued for two nuts, one locking the other on the shaft??

One pivot is past saving, however the other is looking remarkably good, considering the problems I am having removing the first one.

You'll probably hear the swearing from the south coast.

Regards

Ed
Graeme McKie
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2004, 01:12:33 AM »

I replaced one in my HR many moons ago-improvised with two old bushes- but I seem to remember they only screw out one way.Either screw out from the front or from the rear. Find out first before you attack. When fitting new shaft add gear oil to thread to facilitate fitment.
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2004, 10:04:27 AM »

Forget the 2 locking nuts, weld a piece of bar to the shaft and turn, works every time.

Ken
Fast_Eddie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2004, 10:47:39 PM »

I had success at two levels with this.

1. I dropped the crossmember off to my friendly local mechanic and he removed the pivot arms for me a couple of months ago.

2. I recently found the Holden removal tool as pictured in the manual in a box of "Holden" stuff from my grandfather's estate. Ready for the next time I have to to replace a worn pivot arm.

Thanks for everyone's advice.
Graeme McKie
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2004, 01:24:19 AM »

Do not weld anything to the pivot. I know of a fellow that spot welded the pivot to the crossmember because it was a loose fit and turning. It broke right on the area were it was spotted. Beware. Same as you don't spot weld a rear axle bearing retainer. I also have seen an axle break because this was done-on a nice Falcon GT- it broke at about 80k's. Not pretty. Funny thing was I was only a second year apprentice mechanic at the time and we had learned  the day before at tech not to weld pivots or axle's and I told the mechanic this ( the GT's owner) and he told me to f#*!k off. I drove past him on the way to work next morning and he was on the side of the road with his three wheel Falcon.
Graeme McKie
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2004, 01:30:11 AM »

P.S. I realise you are replacing the pivots. I meant it as a warning to any one who might consider doing the old spot weld securing fix.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: