FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 24, 2024, 08:32:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Fitting New Rings  (Read 1503 times)
Rod

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« on: June 26, 2006, 09:48:08 AM »

A quick query to all who have fitted rings to greys before. I have a number of times but have a question re the oil ring.

I got some second hand pistons to use (needed to replace one) and was suprised on what the oil ring looked like. It had the old oil ring expander (from solid oil ring days)but on top of it was the wavey ring expander currently in ring kits (my ACL rings at least have it) with the thing oil rings either side. Because of this arrangement the newer wavey expander ends don't butt up.

Is this the way the oil ring should be or has someone forgot to take out the old expander when/if the old motor was done up.

Should I do as I have always done and just use the new expander.

Cheers Again

Rod
Papa Smurf

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 09:49:41 AM »

Have also just got some ACL pistons with the same oil ring setup & expander ring ends match up ok.(I assume you mean the ends not touching).
I did have a small problem with the ends not matchig up coz the expander was not sitting in the groove properly between the thin rings.
Working bottom to top I put one ring in first then the expander then the last ring - and plenty of oil - just got to be carefull not to bend the rings as they are so bloody thin.
But they do fit
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: