FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 07, 2024, 06:40:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: 253/308 Engine Number  (Read 17646 times)
FB_MAD

I can't think what to write here so this will do.

View Profile
« on: June 04, 2006, 07:02:02 AM »

Hi All.
Will be looking for an original HQ Holden 253/308 engine for a future project soon.Was hoping someone could tell me at what numbers the engine numbers for 253's and 308's in the HQ's commenced and ended.
All I can find in my info at home is that 253 prefix was QS (Low Comp) and QR (High Comp) and 308 was QT prefix.
These prefix letters went into HJ Holden production as well before going to the 4.2 and 5.0 casting numbers on the blocks in the HX according to what I'm reading.
So I need to tell if the engine is a HQ or HJ block.

Any help appreciated,

Terry.

Has anybody seen my red pen??
Dr_Terry

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 11:57:44 PM »

Hi Terry.

You must be a good bloke with a name like that.

The casting numbers on the side of the block for 253 V8s were always just 253 from HQ until their production ceased in 1983/4. The 308 blocks were all cast 308 from the HQ series up until they around the time they changed to the 304 version in 1985 when the casting changed to read 5.0. HT & HG blocks had HP on the side of the 308 & were blank for 253, although this actually began before HQ production, so late HGs will have these castings.

The 253 engine number prefix for 253 was QR (or QS for lo-comp) for all HQ, HJ, HX & HZ up until Sept 78 when they changed to ZR (or ZS for lo-comp). The 308 prefix was QT up until the same date when they changed to ZT. Statesman motors had 11 in front of the normal prefix, so a Statesman 308 would read 11QTxxxxx (or 11ZTxxxxxx). The HQ numbers started at 1001 & went thru to around 487,000. HJ numbers went from around 487,000 to 665,000. HX was from approx 665,000 onwards but these are ADR27A motors,

To pinpoint the date of the block more accurately use the date casting code on the front of the block. Post the codes & I can decipher them for you.

Dr Terry.
FB_MAD

I can't think what to write here so this will do.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 04:56:08 AM »

Thanks Dr Terry for the info, and yep, most Terry's I know are good blokes!!.

With those sort of engine production figures it looks like I'm in with a good chance of finding a HQ 253/308 still around.
I was given an old smokey, noisy cam,red 253 a while back but I suspect it was a HX engine as it has a few ADR smog bits on it.

I'll PM you the block casting number if you could decipher it for me it would be great.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply,

Terry, (the other one)

Has anybody seen my red pen??
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: