FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
October 06, 2024, 07:16:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: hr brakes  (Read 2860 times)
hrbloke

hr bloke

View Profile
« on: May 09, 2006, 05:22:54 AM »

my project is a 67 hr prem.. i am wanting to update my brake system. i have been pushed into hq discs on the front... will i have to use hq stubs aswell? or could i still use my hr stubs?.... also once i change my front brakes i am going to change my back brakes aswell.
how is it possible to put discs on the back of my hr?

i have just gotten my head around converting my front and thinking about the back brakes gets me confused...
can anyone help?
cheers michael.
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 06:40:24 AM »

You will need to fit HQ stub axles to fit the HQ brakes.  All pretty straight forward really, but you will need to grind some material from the top control arm for caliper clearance.
Why do you need to fit rear discs?  Is it for performance or for looks?
What sort of engine are you running?
The rear end choice will depend on your engine choice and hence rear brakes will then be fitted to the rear end chosen.
If you intend keeping the red motor and original rear end, then you won't need rear discs to make the car stop well.

Ken
NES304
Guru

Model: FC

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 09:56:49 PM »

You can get a Diff pre 1986 VOLVO 2XX (thats 2 series and pre 86 as they don't have the speed cable in them and are 1/3 the price). These Diffs are around $180 but for $350 you can get one with the discs and calipers attatched, even better, you could get a whole car running off ebay for a couple of hundred. Price was from a brisbane swedish wreckers

hrbloke

hr bloke

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 12:08:07 AM »

cheers for the reply's.
i am going to use my 186 red motor with a yella terra head, 350 holley... the reason i am wanting to put discs on the rear is so it is more up to date... i have been told drums on the ass work well but in ten years time how much is it going to cost to keep the drums working? well thats how i am thinking anywho....
if you feel that its  not going to be worth it cuz im only using the 186 let me know... cheers again michael.
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 02:29:19 AM »

I use HQ front discs and rear drums on my wagon and they stop brilliantly.

Keep in mind the new weight of my wagon with V8 is 1.48 tonne (yeah bit of a heavy bertha I know).

new shoes just cost me a massive $45 bucks.

I may go to the wrecking yard and get some good drums to see me thru the next 20 years or so. Can't imagine these will set me back more than 50 bucks for 2 sets.

drums.. work great for me Smiley  cheapest item on my car to maintain too.

Cheers

Ed

PS bear in mind the rear brakes have very little effect on overall braking action.
it's more fun when you turn them off lol

« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 02:33:24 AM by EH » Logged

in the shed
hrbloke

hr bloke

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 05:22:11 AM »

hahaha turning the rear brakes off? do i even wanna think of what that would do?....

yeah i think i may just put hq drums on the back of my hr? is this just a straight swap? if not is there much work involved... i just dont want two diff type of brakes on my car ie:hq fronts hr rear's

if a v8 can use drums then they wont have any dramers stopping my little 186 red.

cheers for the info again guys
dont mean to be a pain
michael.....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: