FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 05, 2024, 05:57:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: handbrake adjustment  (Read 5068 times)
cruiser056
qld-club

cruisin to the rock and roll

View Profile
« on: May 05, 2006, 03:33:19 AM »

Gday all,
              I have an early commodore disc brake diff in my FE Sedan, and I need to adjust the handbrake at the diff for better operation.  Can anyone assist me in the process required to adjust the handbrake cable at the diff please.
              I am trying to avoid buying a workshop manual for an early commodore when this is all i require.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Michael
Martin

Model: FC

Jim

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 05:15:45 AM »

Can't help, Michael, but check out your local library for a manual.

Martin

The liver is evil.  It must be PUNISHED

Martin
Marion.  South Aust.

Ebay user id:  lewis1411
nicko
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 06:24:14 AM »

to do VN rear handbrake put diff up on axle stands remove any slack from handbrake cable with relay rod nuts,remove wheels remove disc then adjust handbrake shoes to 159.5mm outside diameter using the adjuster and a pair of calpers(if no calipers adjust till you can put disc back on and turn with no drag)then bolt it all back together and pull on handbrake a few times to set the brake shoes                                                   ,then you should be right,
vc to vl rear discs should be very similar process.

cruiser056
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2006, 04:14:44 AM »

Nicko,
         Thanks for the info, I will give it a crack over the weekend.  Thanks again

Martin,
          I honestly never thought of the local library for the workshop manual, thanks

Michael
Dr_Terry

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 08:22:14 PM »

Hi Michael.

You didn't mention which model Commodore the diff was out of, but it's probably VB to VL.

On these diffs the handbrake is a small drum brake inside the hat of the rear disc. They have a little slot at the bottom, to adjust the shoes just like EH & later drum brakes. Disconnect or back-off the handbrake cable at the front lever, adjust the 2 sets of rear shoes in the same fashion as EH drums (adjust up until they bind, then back-off just enough so they spin freely). Then re-attach the front cable & adjust it as required.

This only works on VB to VL rears, because their handbrake cable enters the assembly at the top, that way the adjuster is at the bottom & accessible thru the slot. For some reason, on VN to VS rears, which use the same drum handbrake, GM-H rotated the assemblies & swapped them left to right. Consequently, on these models the cable is at the bottom & the adjuster at the top, but no slot. The adjustment procedure on the VN to VS is to R & R the caliper & disc to gain access !!!

Dr Terry.
cruiser056
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006, 10:11:58 PM »

Dr Terry,
             Thanks for the explanation, I am going to have a go at it this morning, I will have a look at where the cable enters the rear of the brakes on the diff.  From memory I think it is the top, which then makes it the VB - VL as you indicated.  This should make it easier to adjust.

Many thanks to everyone for their advice, I will let you know how I get on.

Michael
cruiser056
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2006, 07:35:58 PM »

Gday all,
             Well it appears the diff is from a VN commodore and I had to remove the disc so to gain access to the adjuster.  No worries though, everything was as explained to me and the handbrake now works fine.

Thanks again to everyone for their advice.

Michael
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: