FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 05, 2024, 05:44:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Electronic distributor  (Read 3750 times)
yackboy49

Model: FC

EARLY HOLDEN CAR CLUB INC. WANGARATTA

View Profile
« on: March 31, 2006, 06:19:18 AM »

Hello all,
Changing from an ordinary distributor to an Electronic on a 202, is there any advantage ? is it a straight swap?
advantages / disadvantages ?
should I let sleeping dogs alone
Cheers Yackboy

Phil
fccool59

rain sucks     http://www.yout ube.com/watch?v =N1Uj

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 08:54:08 AM »

disadvantages- plastic gear, module can fail and is dear to replace.
Advantages- better performance, better economy, less chance of plugs fouling, no need to check or replace points, higher rpm limit.

A good idea is to remove the plastic gear and replace it with the metal one of the old dizzy.

you will need the higher voltage coil and plug leads, other than that it is a straight swap.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 08:55:13 AM by fccool59 » Logged

rain sucks  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Ujma1lBac    rain sucks     rain sucks
fccool59

rain sucks     http://www.yout ube.com/watch?v =N1Uj

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 09:13:54 AM »

oops, I forgot, although it will go ok like that you will get it going better if you have it regraphed to suit the pre polutoin red motor.

rain sucks  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Ujma1lBac    rain sucks     rain sucks
fc4kiwi

crusin fine in a "59"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2006, 08:04:30 AM »

do it do it do it!!!!! one of the best things ive done to my motor just go to the wreakers get a VH blue motor dissy and make sure you take note of wiring and grab the coil as well!
also make sure that you change the crappy plastic gear to the metal one from the old points dissy

AS they say "just do it!!!!!"
Al
nsw-club

I love FC Ute's!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2006, 11:04:32 AM »

Also put a new module in it and it will be trouble free for years.  There not all that expensive, you would spend that cost on points over the years anyway          Al

See ya
Al
HARKO
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2006, 12:38:02 PM »

I think I'd have a debate here ,Ive had three distributors (electronic) in my wagon over the past year ,Ive replaced the module twice and I just dropped in another whole dizzy yesterday  )I have a brand new points setup dizzy in a plastic bag in the spare wheel well)(I wont go back to points) the tronic one out performs points in fuel economy ,rev limit ,power output and crispness ,and also the note of the exhaust is clean and healthy
yackboy49

Model: FC

EARLY HOLDEN CAR CLUB INC. WANGARATTA

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2006, 02:33:58 AM »

Thanks to everone who has replied, you have convinced me to go electronic..yackboy

Phil
Al
nsw-club

I love FC Ute's!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2006, 08:04:19 AM »

Harko   I'd be looking at the coil and/or wiring. Sounds like it's putting out too much voltage and blowing the crap out of the modules, I'm the same I carry a spare points dissy and coil set up in my tool box, you nether know                                       Cheers Al
« Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 08:09:59 AM by Al » Logged

See ya
Al
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: