FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 08, 2024, 05:00:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: My Ej Van (Need some Grey motor info)  (Read 2103 times)
LokkyMoore

View Profile
« on: February 24, 2006, 01:46:14 AM »

I have an EJ Van that I'm starting to program some work to get it in order. It has previously been modded to fit a 149 Red and I want to get some opinions on how I should work it mechanically.

I'm over speed but I intend on being able to take it around Australia, so I want reliability and efficiency (economy would be good but not a necessity). I've checked a few bits and bobs on the QLD Ej-Eh forum and found that the Grey motor has fibre timing gears which have a tendency to strip and a 4 bearing crank. Most of my limited mechanical knowledge is on Reds and not the grey motor so I'm chasing the opinions of people who know more than I do.

I've also heard that the Grey powered EJ van is a site that isn't seen anymore so it might be worth putting a grey in it for "something different".

I'm happy to mod it back to accept a grey but I want to get the pros and cons of Grey Vs Red to help me make a decision.

Also, is it worth putting gas on the smaller 6's or not worth the effort.

Finally, because I don't know much about the grey motors, is there any light reading that will help me figure them out and compare them to the red?

Thanks for your opinions in advance. I hope I chose the right board.

Have a Good one.

RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 03:09:01 AM »

Welcome.  You'll find stacks of discussion about the pros and cons of greys and reds on this site.

A search for "timing gear" (go back further than 180 days to be sure to find it) will give you the good oil Wink about the issues of fibre vs steel vs alloy etc.  Fibre timing gears were also a feature of some reds, and even the steel ones aren't indestructible.  The fibre ones tend to fail because they become brittle through lack of proper oiling.  They're a weak point, but they're also designed to be, because they're a lot more accessible than the cam or the crank.  A failed timing gear won't break anything else, unlike the wreckage a broken crank can create...

Because you're starting with an EJ, I would think the only set-up for grey/red conversion would be the cross-member.  (Grey has single mount underneath, Red has two mounts, either side.)  138 to 149 is less than 10% increase, which means in most states you don't need to do anything else for rego.  What you might want to do for safety is another issue of course.

The cost and risk associated with the work on a 40 year old head to convert to gas means it's certainly not a popular option.  The effect on the (hardly neck-snapping) performance of a grey in a heavier car like an EJ van would be pretty tiresome if you're considering any sort of lengthy trips.  If nothing else, at least red motor parts are easier to come by and cheaper, something you could have a long time to ponder in Kickatinalong, waiting for a grey water pump to arrive from the coast... Roll Eyes

Hope that's some help.  Have a good hunt around the site, and use the Search function.  You'll find lots of useful advice and technical knowledge.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
EJ_Dave

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 11:33:46 AM »

G'day Lokky?,

while I agree with everything RET says (in this thread at least  Wink), I'm a daily punter of a grey powered EJ (wagon) and thought I should put in a good word for the venerable grey. Sure, it will be more expensive to rebuild than a red but, if done properly, it is unlikely to break down in Kickatinalong, or anywhere else. With appropriate camshaft and carburation the performance and driveability of greys can be substantially improved with little impact on fuel economy. While the performance still won't be neck-snapping, it will comfortably cruise at 60-65mph (with a slightly taller than standard diff) and it will take a VERY steep hill to slow it down.

Replacing the fibre timing gear with an alloy or steel set is a good idea (although J-series greys are much less prone to stripping fibre gears than earlier ones). The four main bearing crank is steel and never a problem (almost never, anyway).

Going grey is not necessarily the most logical choice but need not be a hugely backward one either. The (one?) benefit they have is that with hardened valve seats, they'll run happily on regular unleaded while many (all?) reds will need higher octane fuel. Add to that the intangibles of having a (more) original car, being a little bit different to the mainstream and keeping alive the sounds and sensations of the motor that powered the first 1 million plus Holdens and the choice of red or grey is less black and white    Tongue.  

Cheers,

Dave

PS were's the Grey army when you need them Huh
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 10:58:50 PM »

I have to agree with Dave, the grey is reliable and economical to run.

While it may cost more to rebuild, I reckon it would pay you back at the other end when you eventually sell if the van is back to original.  

I had an EK Hydra-matic wagon as a daily driver for about 2 years & while it was a bit slow up the steeper hills, it managed city & open road well.

I have seen Gas fitted to early forklifts with grey motors, so it can be done.

Good luck with it whichever way you go.

Gary, Go the mighty grey !!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: