FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
October 07, 2024, 05:29:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Saddam's missing HR .... of mass destruction  (Read 2607 times)
Motörhead

D-Generation X

View Profile WWW
« on: December 02, 2005, 08:04:56 AM »

BAGHDAD HOLDEN
"An Australian mechanic working in Iraq meets a fellow Aussie who's up on blocks and down on his luck:

A few days ago I was out road testing a Chevy-badged Holden Commodore when out of the corner of my eye I caught sight of a wrecked car in one of the back streets of the Green Zone in Baghdad. Something about it was vaguely familiar ...

To my complete amazement it turned out to be a badly beat up HR Holden, one of the last things you could ever expect to see in Iraq. Going by the orange painted front guards and rear quarter panels, the old HR had been in use as a taxi cab. The car was left-hand drive and on close inspection it seemed that the conversion had been done in a professional manner."

"It's hard to tell what finally killed the car, but a missing cylinder head coupled with a lack of spare parts probably spelled the end of its time on Iraqi roads. The Iraqis are masters are keeping old cars mobile after living with years of sanctions and parts shortages, but this old soldier was obviously beyond even their means.

One of my Iraqi employees was familiar with the HR, and said that there were quite a few on the roads back in the '60s. He thought that Holden was an English brand, and had no idea how these cars ended up in the Middle East."

Is this ummm Saddam's revenge on an ungrateful Australian public for not accepting camels in lieu of good old-fashioned cash for his fleet of HR taxis? Cry Or is it perhaps an ironic mobile torture chamber to be used on our poor Diggers in Iraq who might just happen to be old Holden nuts?? Angry Or is it ultimately perhaps intended to mass-destruct OUR (forum) minds with horrid teasings of destroyed and hidden FE-FC taxis sprawled all over Baghdad?? Grin Grin Cry

Then hang 'em high Tongue ...... Pete
« Last Edit: December 02, 2005, 08:16:31 AM by SaucerfulOfSecrets » Logged

The Quiet One
The Cynical One
The Dark One
Shayne
qld-club

Model: FE and FC

Just Cruisin'

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005, 09:40:52 AM »

Interesting pic and story Pete.  Good one.

The car was left-hand drive and on close inspection it seemed that the conversion had been done in a professional manner."

It should be professional- Left hand drive HRs came out of the GMH factory.

Old Holdens Never Die Because Fools Like Me Keep Them Going
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: