FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 28, 2024, 11:22:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Spark plug leads  (Read 1698 times)
Jodstar

JODSTAR

View Profile
« on: March 21, 2005, 11:18:37 AM »

Just a question about spark plug leads. I have modern silicone leads with carbon core on the FC. I have noticed they are very common most other early cars as most original leads have since long been replaced. I was wondering if the "modern leads can affect the coponents" such as points,condenser & coil in any way. I have heard that modern leads can suppress the current and have a different affect on the system. I am more than happy to have original leads made up, as the FC is stock. Any ideas?
                                                   Cheers Jody Huh
craiga
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005, 10:16:31 PM »

Jody,

The spark plug leads form part of the ignitions secondary circuit and are therefore electrically isolated from the primary side (points/condensor).  Changing from the original solid copper core spark plugs leads to the later carbon filled type will not effect these components. The original solid core cables contained almost no resistance and therefore full secondary voltage/current was available to the plug. This extra 'grunt' caused many tracking issues as the excessive and unused energy looked for an easier way to travel to ground. Misfiring was commonly a result, so was interference through any radio within cooeee of the car!

Unless you are absolutely fixed on originality I would use the later leads. You can buy the black bosch type which don't look out of place but will give better performance and  electrical noise suppression.

Cheers,

Craig.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2005, 10:17:39 PM by craiga » Logged
Jodstar

JODSTAR

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2005, 05:09:14 AM »

Thanks for your time Craig,
                                            Jody Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...