FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 28, 2024, 12:10:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Grey Motor no compression  (Read 2102 times)
paddockbasher

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: February 12, 2005, 11:38:35 AM »

I have a grey "J" motor that has been stored for (I think)a number of years.

After spraying penetrating oil in the bore it turns quite freely; however despite spark at the plugs it will not fire. I did a compression test which revealed extremely low compression on all cylinders which did not improve when a little oil was introduced to each of the cylinders.

The engine presents well with evidence of new gaskets throughout, welsh plugs,clean oil and little residue in the sump or underside of tappet cover.

Would anyone know if the low compression could be caused by stuck valves? and if it is possible to remedy/check without removing the head?

Has anyone experienced an engine with extremely low compression on all cylinders; is this typically what happens through excessive wear/age or a catastrophic meltdown?

Appreciate any help/suggestions

peterwmh

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2005, 05:05:25 AM »

You could do the old hammer valve loosening trick.  Just remove the tappet cover and give all the rockers on the valve tips a tap to check for movement (I emphasise tap, not hit!).  If they move freely then the valves should be OK.  They may have been overtightened causing the valves to ride, so that may be worth checking too.

Peter

Never late with a 308!!!!
paddockbasher

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2005, 06:35:25 AM »

Thanks Peter

Ended up removing the head. Valves definitely stuck. Off to the local repco for cylinder head work.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: