FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 04, 2024, 08:26:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: ute question  (Read 4184 times)
Jonno

View Profile
« on: January 16, 2005, 01:54:03 AM »

Hi,
Can anyone with a ute tell me how many tonneau fasteners they have as I seem to have either gained or lost a hole during the bodywork resto. Pic below shows RHS of ute behind cabin. Hole 2 isn't present on the other side so not sure whether its supposed to be there or not. Note hole 3 is also for tonneau...I've just drilled it out to fit studs with machine screw/nut end rather than the self-tappers which seem to pull out very easily.
thanks, Jon

Cottles Bridge, VIC
SEB

Three on the tree, 132 CI and 3.89:1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2005, 03:20:12 AM »

My FC ute does not have a tarp fixing point at location 2. 1 and 3 are there. My ute is pretty standard as far as I can tell. The stud fixings were loose on my ute but it's not had the easiest of lives.

Best regards,

Steve.
Jonno

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2005, 07:39:42 AM »

thanks SEB. Looks like no.2 will have to go. I've also been told that the standard is 17 holes...and I have 24!

sounds like a custom made tonneau will be required...
jonno

Cottles Bridge, VIC
SEB

Three on the tree, 132 CI and 3.89:1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2005, 09:42:49 AM »

Looking at the distances between fixing points and the area of the tarp 24 is not a bad idea, 17 points seems to few and might explain why the posts seem to be so stressed...and mostly missing.

Best regards,

Steve.
Jonno

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2005, 10:38:35 AM »

yeh, some of mine were loose too...the ones with nuts on the end seem a way better idea than the screw fitting (as long as you can access the rear of the panel)
jonno

Cottles Bridge, VIC
fcstationsedan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2005, 08:07:49 AM »

I have an unrestored FC ute here (see for sale section) and it has hole number 3 but not number 2. The number 1 is there but appears to be much close to the centre of the cabin than on yours too. Looking at the number of holes I wonder how the cover stayed on! I guess it depends whether you want the ute to be practical or 'correct'.

Dave
Former 1959 FC Station Sedan owner.
FE_UTE
wa-club

Model: FE and FC

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2005, 11:58:16 AM »

Hi Jonno...the no.2 hole is too far away from thr tonneau cover to be of any use. I have the original cover for my FE ute and have just gone out and put tried to put on an original FC ute cover. The FC one fitted on 15 of the 17 holes and the two that did not fit were the last ones on the rear of each side and these were 1" out
Cheers Gary

Jonno

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2005, 09:57:51 PM »

thanks everyone for your comments. Seems pretty clear the holes on the sides of my ute (even after deleting the mystery one) are not in original locations and have been re-drilled at some point, presumably to improve fit. Given its going to be modified this is not a drama...as long as the tonneau looks good and doesn't flap around in the breeze...
cheers, jonno

Cottles Bridge, VIC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: