FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 07, 2024, 11:36:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: ENGINE COLOURS !  (Read 6645 times)
Blown_FC

FC Holdens & Mini Coopers....Cars of the Century

View Profile
« on: January 13, 2005, 05:20:56 AM »

This is not a question, but rather some info for any of you guys/girls out there who may be about to go through what I've been through.....maybe this will help you save a few bucks.

I decided to paint my Red 202 red.....sounds simple doesn't it ?

Of course this is just my opinion, but if you are wanting to paint your red motor red, try POWERPLUS brand of Hi-Gloss Engine Enamel called HOLDEN ROCKET RED !

This ( in my opinion ) is the closest match to the original factory Holden Red colour.

The reason I'm telling you this, is that I'm sick of wasting money on cans of paint that aren't what I'm looking for.

I've looked into VHT, MOTOSPRAY, POWERPLUS and others.    Colour descroptions range from, Chevy Orange, Holden Orange, Holden Red, Bright Red and more.
ANd if you want a real laugh, try MOTOSPRAY's version of HOLDEN RED....it looks more like rusty mud than Hodlen Red !

Anyway, after many dollars and many cans of paint later, I've found that POWERPLUS Holden Rocket Red is the stuff !

As far as painting alloy, so it looks like original factory alloy and not some cheap aluminium copy....try VHT CAST Aluminium....VERY GOOD !

But hey...that's just my opinion, for the look that I was after, but I'd hate anyone else to go through the hoops I've gone through to find the right stuff !

Cheers

Mark

PS...good thing I'm not running a GREY motor !
Dr_Terry

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2005, 06:51:20 AM »

Hi Blown_FC

Yes, it is confusing, they should standardise the names.

The problem is, there are 3 different Holden Reds from the factory.

EH & HD (exc. X2) = Darker red (probably the muddy colour you mentioned)

HD X2, HR X2 & HR 186S = Rocket Red (a lot brighter, a bit like fire engine red)

All HK to HZ, LC to UC & VB (1st Commodore) = HK Rocket Red (a more orange type of red, closer to Chevy orange)

Best way to do it is find an original car with an original motor & take a look (they are still out there). I had my last one computer matched to the colour of the cleaned up sump, came out great.

Dr Terry.
Blown_FC

FC Holdens & Mini Coopers....Cars of the Century

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2005, 06:55:57 AM »

Thanks for the history lesson Dr Terry...I was not aware of the 3 different shades of red used by holden.....that partly explains it.....but no joke....the MOTOSPRAY Holden Red.....surely could never have been a Holden Red colour.....it reminds me more of the REd Oxide Killrust Primer !

Thanks for helping solve the paint mystery !

Cheers

Mark
gp

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2005, 09:29:31 PM »

G'day,

I've also seen in an old Dulux paint book, X2 engine red, that looks very close to rocket Red.

Cheers,

Graham
2brite
wa-club

Cruizin's devine in a '59

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2005, 12:33:10 AM »

G'Day
Same topic different colour.
What about Grey Engine Paint?
Was it the same shade 48-63
I've been to many a car show and swap meets and looking at unrestored "GREYS" i can hardly ever find 2 cars with the same colour.
My painter matched my engine colour with the back of the fan as it was untouched and not faded,i must say it's a bit dark than most engines ive seen.
I see alot of fj's with engine been pretty close to light blue Roll Eyes  any thoughts??
Dr_Terry

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2005, 08:04:12 AM »

Hi 2brite.

When it comes to Greys. it's a different matter completely.

AFAIK there is only 1 official engine 'Grey' paint colur.

Problem is of course, just about every 'early' has had a transplant by now & even those with original paint will have faded, (more or less depending on their environment).

I have been assured by Stan Bennet who is probably 'THE' 48 & FJ guru, & was playing (read tuning & racing) with these things when I was in primary school, that the very early cars up to around '52 had a lighter Grey. This, based on what I mentioned earlier is now very had to verify. So we'll take Stan's word OK.

I've used Power Plus engine Grey on some of my rebuilds & it looks good & original. But as they say looks are in the eye of the beholder.

Maybe gp or Ken could add something to this one.

Dr Terry.
Shayne
qld-club

Model: FE and FC

Just Cruisin'

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2005, 06:29:11 PM »

Grey engine paint- Power Plus number PP427 as Dr Terry says looks pretty close.

Also, replacement short & long motors supplied by companies such as Repco had their own colours as well.  Gem exchange engines I think had a blue tinge.

The 'grey' in my wagon is painted light blue, the 'grey' in my FJ I painted in Colorbond touchup spraycan gold paint 15 years ago, and the 'grey' in the FE has its paint protected by a layer of grease & oil Wink

here is a link to previous thread on grey motor colour:http://www.fefcholden.org.au/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=resto;action=display;num=1045648687;start=2
« Last Edit: January 15, 2005, 07:02:29 PM by shayne » Logged

Old Holdens Never Die Because Fools Like Me Keep Them Going
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: