FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 26, 2024, 02:29:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Light Switch Removal  (Read 4864 times)
conaghan11

One Day It'll Be Finished

View Profile
« on: December 24, 2004, 03:29:20 AM »

Hey guys,
can someone please enlighten me on how to remove the lights switch from the dash.

I have discovered the "nut" around the barrel of the switch which has loosened it in the dash but I obviously need to remove the knob from the end of the switch itself so that it can be withdrawn from the dash.

I have prodded, poked, pulled and twisted all to no avail.

How do I get it off before I do some serious damage.

Thanks in anticipation,

Steve Conaghan

One day she'll be finished......
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2004, 03:56:28 AM »

I think there is a grub screw in the knob somewhere,have a look. If I am wrong I am sure one of the true "Gurus" will correct me here.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2004, 03:56:59 AM by stinky » Logged

earlyholdenfan

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2004, 04:02:29 AM »

I also could be wrong but on the Ek there is a small "push" button in the base of the switch housing on the underside (right up under the dash) you need to push in and the shaft with knob on comes right out.
Hopefully this is the same on the earlier ones?
Matt
craiga
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2004, 04:10:35 AM »

button is the same on FE/FC.

Cheers,

Craig
conaghan11

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2004, 06:58:25 AM »

Thanks guys......I would NEVER have found it without your help.

Who was the bright spark who thought up that one....

Regards,

Steve Conaghan

FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Model: FC

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2004, 07:27:26 AM »

Steve
Never mind I remember not so long ago I asked the same question.

What I want now is one that has the eliment intact so my dash lights will work, well when I get around to stripping the old girl down and carry out resto work.

Forgiveness is easier than permission.
conaghan11

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2004, 08:41:58 AM »

Jim,
my old girl actually has two light switches fitted courtesy of the previous owner.   I cannot remember exactly why he fitted two, but apparently it had the same problem...no dimmer control.

While I have it appart I'll have a look at them to see if there is anything that can be done to repair the original switch.

It might even be worth looking for a suitable replacement that the original knob can be fitted to so as to keep the "original look" while modernising the functionality.   I know..."poo pooed" by those who subscribe to the "nothing but absolutely original" doctorine but the original parts are getting harder and harder to find in good condition.

Best of luck with your search for a suitable switch....which ever way you decide to go.

As a footnote, I've had my old girl in the garage for about three years now...and probably only done about three months work on her....having a motivational crisis.

Having said that, I cannot emphasise how much information and help I have gained from this Discussion List / Contact Group and it's a credit to the enthusiasm and helpfulness of the members like yourself.   I asked this question today not expecting any answers for days if any and now I have the switch out within a couple of hours......magnificent.

Thanks again guys,

Steve Conaghan

colt
act-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2004, 11:22:18 AM »

I'm sure this has been tried before: fitting a light switch out of a HK,T or G. I will check this out over the chrissy break. At least these are a little easier to find.
Colin

colt
Martin

Model: FC

Jim

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2004, 01:47:55 PM »

Back in July 2004 I wrote a bit about repairs to light swtiches.  You'll find it here:

http://www.fefcholden.org.au/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=howto;action=display;num=1091145598  It's General technical board, page 5

In the final paragraph I make the suggestion of wiring the switch so the parkers come on with the headlights.  This is OK, except that if you do this you won't have parkers on their own.

At RET's request I rewrote it and we included pics from the workshop manual.  He intends to post it as a technical info page.

Martin

« Last Edit: December 25, 2004, 01:49:50 PM by lewis1411 » Logged

The liver is evil.  It must be PUNISHED

Martin
Marion.  South Aust.

Ebay user id:  lewis1411
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2004, 11:16:26 AM »

In the final paragraph I make the suggestion of wiring the switch so the parkers come on with the headlights.  This is OK, except that if you do this you won't have parkers on their own.
And of course, this only suits FCs, since FEs have the parkers in the headlight already.

At RET's request I rewrote it and we included pics from the workshop manual.  He intends to post it as a technical info page.

Martin
This did get published in the NSW and SA club newsletters.  I'll get around to putting it into the Tech Info section one day soon.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
colt
act-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2004, 04:47:15 AM »

I just had a look at fitting a switch out of a HT onto a spare dash. While it does fit straight in, there are problems to fix.
The later switch is shorter, which means the operating rod is shorter. To keep the original switch knob, you would have to modify the older rod.
The mounting hole for the switch needs to be larger. The wiring needs to be modified to slide on connectors. The connector block off the HT will not fit as it fouls the ignition switch.
Still, it could be a worthwhile option if dimmable lighting is wanted.
Colin

colt
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: