FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 28, 2024, 09:45:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Alloy flywheel  (Read 2418 times)
FC2104

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: January 15, 2005, 01:06:11 AM »

has anyone used a alloy flywheel on the street i am thinking of running the one i have but i am not sure if it would be ok
Dean
colt
act-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2005, 02:13:57 AM »

Dean,
What engine are you running? The guys I know with a modified grey all use a standard weight flywheel as a light flywheel reduces torque in a grey dramatically. I currently have a light flywheel in mine, but will be reverting to a full weight wheel after Jindabyne. My car has got bugger all at low revs.
Colin

colt
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2005, 03:07:21 AM »

I would suggest that an alloy flywheel would make the car more difficult to get off the line.
I had a torrie with a warm 173 and aussie 4 speed, when I had the gearbox rebuilt  Grin I had the flywheel lightened. It was harder to get off the line but with less mass in the flywheel to spin it got up the revs a bit quicker.
If the alloy weighs less than a lightened steel flywheel, I'd be steering clear\.

craiga
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2005, 03:49:57 AM »

Alloy or lightweight flywheels are useful in high power/high rev situations where torque isn't a priority. Basically big cam, big port engines where you are looking for maximum piston speed in the shortest amount of time.

As Colt and Stinky have indicated they reduce rotating mass allowing revs to rise more quickly. OK on the street if you live in a flat area and don't tow a trailer :-)

Cheers,

Craig

FC2104

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2005, 08:07:50 AM »

Thanx guys
I am currently rebuilding a 3.3 ltr to put into my van i bought the motor ex speedway and it came with a lot of spare i am just trying to figure out the best set up for me. i am also running toyota 5 spd and 3.36 diff
Dean
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: