FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 29, 2024, 05:36:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: HR front end, 13" wheels, lowered stubs?  (Read 3390 times)
fccool59

rain sucks     http://www.yout ube.com/watch?v =N1Uj

View Profile WWW
« on: October 31, 2004, 04:37:51 AM »

does anyone know of any stub axles that will fit a HR front end with 13" wheels without the lower contreol arms hitting the road in the event of a flat, some thing in between the aftermarket lowered ales and standard ones?

rain sucks  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Ujma1lBac    rain sucks     rain sucks
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2004, 09:13:31 AM »

I don't think any exists.
HQ stub axles will lower 1 inch but wont run 13 inch wheels

Ken
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2004, 09:15:06 AM »

The only problem I found with fitting 13" wheels (13x6 ROH mags) was that I needed to fit spacers to stop the lower control arm scrapping the insode of the rim. A skinnier wheel/off-set/machining would possibly cure the problem. But the lowest part of the car is definately rim.
This was with the 2" lowered CRS kit, CRS may sell different heights, but you would have to ask them.
Then of course there is the HQ option, but that only lowers by about 20mm.

fccool59

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2004, 01:54:18 AM »

I was not aware of the HQ stubbs, I am trying to get a little suspension back into my car without going any higher. I am also considering cross ply's wich will put the car up a bit. when I first put the springs in I was just touching the bump stops but there isn't much left of them now.
do the HQ stubbs fit up to HR discs?

rain sucks  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Ujma1lBac    rain sucks     rain sucks
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2004, 02:44:06 AM »

I wouldn't recommend cross-ply tyres in a daily driver, especially one that gets a bit of a flogging...  If greater diameter rubber is what you're after when you need new tyres, try Torcu Tyres in Greenacre.  They've got 180R13 with ribbon white-walls for $99/corner.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Spinner
nsw-club

Whitewalls - more than 'just' a way of life.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2004, 01:00:37 PM »

John Cain (in Newcastle) has 185/80x13 with what appears to be 1" to 1 1/2" whitewalls, for $110.00 a pop.

I'd have to agree with Ret on the crossplies/car that gets a fanging mismatch.  I used to run 770x14 crossplies (always purchased from Torcu at Chullora) on my Valian so that I could fit the 4" whitewall inserts.  I used to give that car a real hiding, dirt roads & sealed roads and fire trails alike.  On the tar, handling was particularly interesting, especially when seeing how quickly I could drive from Brooklyn to Cowan.

FCCool, if you don't want to 'hit it' when cornering and are prepared to go really easy in the wet, then crossplies are your thing.  I think that they aren't really an option for you though.

Cheers

Spinner

(0414) 49-6706.  d5461 on Ebay.
fccool59

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2004, 02:04:15 PM »

yeah everyone says that crossy's are a handfull but my mate had some on a EK with a warm 208 stroker and celica 5 speed, I drove the car a few times, one time with a stuffed steering box from sydney to newcastle, It wasn't too bad and you could get it pretty wild on the round abouts, worst point seemed to be that they wore out quick, I like the vintage look of the crossply tyres. Only time ive found them to be a hand full was when I had a pair on the back of my car with radials on the front and had difficulty holding a lane

Fast_Eddie

Body by Holden. Soul by Fast Eddie.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2004, 12:41:30 AM »

That's probably why it is illegal to run a mix of crossplies and radials on a car......
« Last Edit: November 02, 2004, 04:41:26 AM by Fast_Eddie » Logged
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2004, 02:05:54 AM »

Yes, I drove an FC wagon once that had radials on the front and cross-plies on the back.  Once.  I distinctly remember the nervous feeling it gave me when it would decide for itself that the grass was greener in the lane next door. Sad

The only thing that would be less appealing would be to have the cross-plies on the driver's side and the radials... Shocked

I like the cross-plies on my stock FE, but I baby that thing.  I wouldn't dream of putting them on Faecal.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2004, 06:27:46 AM »

HQ stub axles will fit on HR ball joints.

Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: