FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 05, 2024, 11:23:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: fitting aircond  (Read 5877 times)
oldgmh

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: September 13, 2004, 01:41:16 AM »

Now that summer is getting closer, so is the need for airconditioning.

Has anyone fitted a/c to a red motor where there once was a grey?  My measurements from a donor VH commodore indicate that the standard later compressor setup won't fit between the rails, so it will have to be a custom bracket job. And there is not a lot of space.

My other alternative is to fit a/c to my 327 EK but once again space is a problem.

Has anyone fitted either ?

thanks
Earlee.

-KIWI-

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2004, 03:00:52 AM »

from memory i think one of the wa club members fitted a/c to his fe/fc send a pm to fcfromscratch or feute they may be able to put ewe in touch

kiwi climate controlled bird
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2004, 11:10:16 PM »

ALL SNIPING HAS NOW BEEN DELETED FROM THIS THREAD

Don't make me come over there, you blokes Roll Eyes

Charlie Busuttil in the NSW Club has fitted air/con in his FC (w/ red motor), as has Vince O'Donaghue, whose got a fully ducted setup in his 4.4 Leyland V8 powered machine, BYEBYE.  So it certainly can be done.

In Vince's car the controls are hidden behind the radio grille, which folds down a bit like someone else posted here recently.  I think the under-dash plumbing has pretty much killed the glove-box, tho.

In Charlie's case a fair bit of the plumbing is mounted up under the LH guard, so the glove-box is still viable.

Sorry, I don't have any pics of either, but maybe someone else here does.

Hope that helps,
RET
« Last Edit: September 16, 2004, 10:35:40 PM by ret » Logged

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
blacky

Model: other Holden

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2004, 08:19:42 PM »

Hey guys , I`ve got something thats relavent to the thread !!!!!!!!!!!! A mate in Kal has an aircond setup in his red motor powered FC, I think it is out of a VB commodore ,will get some photos and post them over the weekend

I spent most of my money on beer , fast cars and women - the rest I just wasted.
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2004, 12:50:32 AM »

[size=10]E N O U G H[/size]

Before it was just puerile, but now it's getting personal.  This is not acceptable, and it's clearly only going to go downhill from here.

So consider yourselves warned.  Any more of this bickering and all parties involved will find themselves in the sin-bin for a week.

I have the ability to ban users from posting for a set time.  I have never used it before, but you're ALL on notice that a precedent is going to be set unless the attitude stops and the banter stays reasonably on-topic.

RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Spinner
nsw-club

Whitewalls - more than 'just' a way of life.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2004, 07:01:30 AM »

Black motor head (possibly Blue 12 port too) mounts the compressor next to No 1 cylinder, near the spark plug, up nice'n'high, none of that fouling the subframe rail muck.

Some HX/HZ things in wreckers show another setup where the compressor is mounted on the manifold side, about half way up the motor, above the alternator.  Might be worth a squiz.

To keep a functional glovebox etc you might consider a Mark IV type under dash unit.

THe complete setup, taken from one or more cars, consisting of compressor & brackets, under dash unit, condensor should cost you about $150 to $200 from ye old motor vehicle recyclers.

Spinner

(0414) 49-6706.  d5461 on Ebay.
Chuck

Finished!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2004, 11:07:38 AM »

I found this photo which may be a little help for an idea with one of the possible compressor mounting positions on a Holden 6 block:

http://gallery.oldholden.com/album21/aaa

Chuck

“So yes it has changed my life.  I can remember when I had a wife, a mortgage and a dog; I don’t have any 3 of those things any longer…”  Dr Gregory W Frazier
FCwagon
vic-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2004, 07:48:19 PM »

Nice tidy engine bay Chuck.
What it does demonstrate tho' is you can mount the compressor anywhere so long as the brackets are solid.
Leigh

Red & white is alright
Chuck

Finished!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2004, 06:37:33 AM »

Crikey's, not my engine bay, just one I found on the net, I couldn't handle looking at all that plumbing for too long  Grin Grin Grin

Chuck

“So yes it has changed my life.  I can remember when I had a wife, a mortgage and a dog; I don’t have any 3 of those things any longer…”  Dr Gregory W Frazier
blacky

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2004, 08:36:25 PM »

The photos are in my computer, all that remains to be done is figure out how to get them onto this website , took a few more pictures of wrecks as well.

I spent most of my money on beer , fast cars and women - the rest I just wasted.
robbzfc58
Guru

Gone but not forgotten.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2004, 02:42:43 AM »

blackys photos

robbzfc58
RIP Trevor Robb: a good mate to all on the FE-FC Forum
robbzfc58
Guru

Gone but not forgotten.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2004, 02:44:04 AM »

Grin

robbzfc58
robbzfc58
Guru

Gone but not forgotten.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2004, 02:45:12 AM »

Cool

robbzfc58
robbzfc58
Guru

Gone but not forgotten.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2004, 02:46:21 AM »

Cool

robbzfc58
oldgmh

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2004, 04:00:25 AM »

thanks robbfc58.. those pics are what I was wanting to see.  Do you know if the head is from a VB as well, as I think they might have extra cast bolt holes at the front?

Earlee
blacky

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2004, 05:04:25 AM »

G`day earlee,
Yes you must convert to a 12 port head as they are the only heads with that casting.You can use your existing exhaust manifold but will need to find a 12 port compatible inlet manifold.Hope this helps

oldgmh

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2004, 08:34:10 AM »

Yeh.. that's what I wanted to know.

thanks Blacky,

rgds  Earlee.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)