FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 26, 2024, 10:19:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: CRS Chassis help (OT - into EK)  (Read 2083 times)
cammo

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: September 13, 2004, 06:40:32 AM »

Hi All,

Not meant to poach your help, but this group is the best and most informative.

I have just fitted the main rails of a CRS chassis kit and upon fitting the subframe assisting chassis (the bit that connects the 3 bolts at the Y to the floor member Chassis ) have found that on the drivers side there is about a 1/4 inch gap between the mating surfaces. ie the 4 bolts that go through the floor member and the front of the main rails and where the subframe connecting chassis goes there is a gap.

Hope this makes sense, but I am ponderous as what to do. Cant see anything obvious, the floor member looks original and is in the correct position, likewise the subframe looks correct.

Maybe I will make up a plate to fill the space.

Any ideas?

Cheers  
Blown_FC

FC Holdens & Mini Coopers....Cars of the Century

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2004, 10:30:46 PM »

Cammo....I had the same problem with my FC Sedan.....with mine though, it was more likely the Rare Spares Crossmembers being welded slightly off, and me fitting a new subframe aswell.

My gap was about 5 mm

I jus thad a coupl eof 5 mm plates made at the metal fabricators and slotted them in, and shimmed them up where needed.

The easiest way I made a template, was get a piece of cardboard and lay it face down...then get the Subframe / crossmember connector piece  and stand it up on the cardboard ( square end down of course ).  then I just spray painted over the end in black, leaving a perfect template with holes to which I cut out later.
( I hope that makes sense ).

Good luck

Cheers

Mark
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2004, 11:19:55 PM »

I have the opposite problem, with no space (on one side only) to put the Y-Frame connector in. Your problem is easy fixed by making up a plate as Blown_FC has suggested. Mine looks like a cut'n'shut job.

cammo

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2004, 02:32:55 AM »

YA gotta love old cars hey.

I actually replaced the opposite floor member to my problem one, taking great pains to measure it up so it sits exactly at the proper position for the chassis support.

Only to find out later the other side is out........

Thanks for the replies and will make up a plate to suit as suggested.

Am pretty excited about getting the old girl back on the road with the surety of less rust and some chassis support.

Now the plotting continues with the gearbox replacement..........
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: