FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 08, 2024, 05:37:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: How to weld fuel tank?  (Read 3757 times)
MikeM
wa-club

My v6 "upgrade" was about better brakes :(

View Profile
« on: September 24, 2004, 07:07:17 AM »

I need to weld up a new filler onto my tank (for unleaded).  The idea of becoming toast isnt appealing, so can anyone advise on how I do this (I was told that I could run exhaust fumes into it and this would make it safe).

Cheers

Mike
oldgmh

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2004, 07:21:16 AM »

Don't weld anything, if you are just wanting a smaller inlet filler.

You need an unleaded fuel restrictor which fits into the neck of the filler.  They are available from japanese import compliancers and is part of the normal compliance procedure to conform with ADRs. Fitting is done by expanding the standard neck with an expander similar to what is used in exhaust shops and then tapping the restrictor into the neck. It is an interference fit with sikaflex to seal it.

Try ringing a local compliancer.. if no luck send me a message.

If you need to weld because the tank is broken then, sorry, disregard my post.
regards
Earlee.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2004, 09:46:50 AM by earlee » Logged
MikeM
wa-club

My v6 "upgrade" was about better brakes :(

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2004, 07:33:05 AM »

Thanks for that, I will chase them up.  I do however to put an overflow pipe and a line to the chracoal canister which MAY require welding in, so I might still have to do this (although by far the biggest job was to cut the filler pipe in).

Sarge
Guru

My 57 & Old No 7 all a Man Need's

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2004, 08:42:15 AM »

Mike
      All the fuel tanks I have welded I have simple emptied them out then, filled them with water. When you have finished the welding job give it a bit of a clean out with petrol. The heat from welding should have dried up all the water. I hope this make sense, if not just e-mail me and I will try and explain in more detail.

Cheers
Sarge

Mark Lees Tallerbudgera Queensland
        0421 165 351
Holden Classics; a BREED above the rest
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2004, 11:46:58 PM »

Another alternative to welding is to cut off the existing neck and fit the new one using a rubber sleeve to attach the two together.
LC/J Toranas are like this from the factory, there is a minimal gap between the tank and the filler neck that is covered by a rubber sleeve and clamped.
No leaks, No fuss and no welding.

Blown_FC

FC Holdens & Mini Coopers....Cars of the Century

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2004, 12:59:04 AM »

Not meaning to hijack your thread, but this is related......I'm interested to know if anyone has ever created a DROP tank by cutting the original tank in half horizontally, and welding in an insert ( say a few inches deep ) ?  This would give you a good looking drop tank from behind.....more capacity, and won;t mess up the locating and fixing to your car, as you'd be using the original tank......is there a way of doing this.......just thought it may be cheaper than spending $800 odd on a new one like streetneat is making...speaking of which, we haven't heard of the latest on the sedan tanks for a while.....sure street neats would be the ultimate,as they are brand new, and are stainless steel.....but I' was hoping of a similar result for those of us who can't find best part of a grand for a new tank.   Would this theory work ?

PS....Streetneat.....I wish I had the money to buy one of your tanks, as I'd be first in line as I think they are the ultimate !  So please don;t take offence at my idea....I'm just thinking of other ways to get a bigger capacity tank without the expense.....cheers
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2004, 01:40:09 AM »

re: fumes, TO neutralise fuel i run fumes thru it for a while, seems to have worked every time so far. Or Sarges method either/or.

re; drop tank.
i thought of doing this too, i figured (if i was to do it) the easiest and most professional looking way was to lop the lid off, then just fold up (or have folded up) an entire base to suit, this will mean no seam, and no distorted sides.

plus u can fold an angled edge on the rear to help clear those annoying driveways etc.

in the end, I bought a Marty Dean tank instead.

just a thought.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Blown_FC

FC Holdens & Mini Coopers....Cars of the Century

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2004, 01:54:53 AM »

What's a Marty Dean tank Huh

Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2004, 02:01:50 AM »

sorry that's the streetneat marketed tank.

Marty Dean actually makes them, and streetneat markets them.

in the shed
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: