FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 05, 2024, 10:22:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: enamel paint  (Read 6683 times)
Phantom

View Profile
« on: July 10, 2004, 05:54:32 AM »

my car was resprayed in enamel paint and it has started to chip off around the bumpers door handles etc, the car does not need a total respray only these small chips fixed, this might seem a dumb question to some of you guys, but how do i fix them? do i need to rub them back then use a filler to fix it or what?
                     Cheers Rusty

Bogans rule
Fast_Eddie

Body by Holden. Soul by Fast Eddie.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2004, 06:59:49 AM »

Phantom,

I assume you are talking about air dry enamel?

I don't think you can't blend a repair in enamel like you can acrylic, so you would generally have to feather the chip and repaint the entire panel.

Others may confirm otherwise, however this is what I have recently read in a new spray painting book I bought recently.

Further, the acrylic won't go over enamel. I know that through experience!

Regards

Edward
robbzfc58
Guru

Gone but not forgotten.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2004, 08:06:51 AM »

hi russ    depending on how badly your cars chipped ,Chipmaster or some similar operator may be feasible.   they are a mobile paint repair co who fill chips & scratches but not dents...i have no idea of costs
someone may be able to add more Huh

robbzfc58
RIP Trevor Robb: a good mate to all on the FE-FC Forum
sgo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2004, 08:06:33 PM »

If you've still got some of the original paint try just filling the chips using a fine brush and the un-thinned paint. You could cut/rub it back when it's hardened, maybe a couple of months in this weather!

Phantom

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2004, 07:49:06 AM »

I am getting so bloody hopeless lately , the paint is ACRYLIC not enamel, and the same question still applies how do i fix the chips and small chunks that have come off? sorry about this but as i am nearing half a century my mind seems to be slipping a bit.
                              Cheers Rusty

Bogans rule
craiga
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2004, 08:05:46 AM »

Hi Rusty,

As previously suggested take atrip down to your local auto paint shop and pick up a proper touch up brush. These brushes have long flexible hairs which allow simple touch ups. Just don't put too much paint on the brush and you should be able to do it no problems.

Here's what you should be looking for

Cheers,

Craig.
Phantom

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2004, 08:20:00 AM »

Thanks Craig, but the paint chips are a cupple mill thick at least, will touching up with a brush fill it to the right level?
                       Rusty

Bogans rule
craiga
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2004, 08:29:40 AM »

Yes, just build them up over a few goes. You can then do as SGO said, and block them back using 2000 wet and dry. Then finish of with a good polish and you'll be suprised at how good you can get it looking.

Cheers,

Craig.
Phantom

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2004, 08:32:35 AM »

G'day again Craig,
                            This is probably a really bumb question , but do i have to rub it back first, and if i do what grade paper do i use?
                                                Rusty

Bogans rule
craiga
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2004, 09:29:49 AM »

Rusty,

You could smooth the edges of the area off with some 1200 wet and dry first, but generally this is not needed.

Just clean it well with Prepsol (Wax and Grease remover), and wipe clean with another new rag. Then just touch up as required. Have a go, if you stuff it up you can use the prepsol to wipe it clean again and have another go.

Cheers,

Craig.
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2004, 11:17:10 AM »

Hey Craig and Phantom.
That brush you pictured is overkill. The Mack brush shown is a striping brush and could be hard to find and will cost a fair bit. I'd suggest going to the local craft or hobby store and buying a good fine brush.
BTW Craig do you know where I could get one of those brushes? Haven't been able to find an 00 size.
Regards
Alex

craiga
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2004, 08:17:44 PM »

Alex,

This is the type of brush used in paint shops for touch ups. They shouldn't be hard to find, I'll ask my brother today and post his recommendation.

Cheers,

Craig.
leon

Model: FE

My FC Business Sedan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2004, 06:18:55 AM »

:)G Day fellows .
If you go to a spot light store you'll most probably find what your looking for.
Regards. Leon  Wink
craiga
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2004, 07:14:19 AM »

Alex,

My brother buys brushs like the one shown in the photo from VG Auto Paints for less than $10.00. They have a  special type of soft bristle and are designed for auto touch up. As Leon says, Spotlight may have something similar.

Cheers,

Craig.
Spinner
nsw-club

Whitewalls - more than 'just' a way of life.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2004, 01:25:56 PM »

Alex,

00 and smaller (and larger) brushes are easily available from hobby shops for about $3 to $4 each.  Go to Hobbyco at lunchtime for a look, otherwise I can get you some from the local hobbyshop & give them to you at the next meeting.

Cheers

Brett

(0414) 49-6706.  d5461 on Ebay.
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2004, 09:37:49 AM »

Thanks for the feedback guys.
The type of brush shown is used for pinstriping and is called a dagger or sword brush, and Mack is a respected brand.
Craig....where is VG Paints please?
Regards
Alex

zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2004, 11:36:04 AM »

Alex, I think they are or were in Toongabbie NSW. Gary
Pages: [1]   Go Up