FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 07, 2024, 10:39:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: LH Torana front end/161 motor  (Read 4388 times)
JimmyMac01
« on: February 25, 2004, 12:28:35 PM »

Hi - just joined after buying a Special with LH front end and 161 engine fitted.  I hear that I need some work to get the steering right to be able to register the car in Qld?  Does anyone know about this? I am a novice but am looking forward to restoring the rest of the car to original unless I get carried away with other mods.

Thanks
Jimmy
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2004, 12:34:07 AM »

Hey Jimmy,

u've come to the right place for help.

Ive only seen a Torana front end in one car. (HD ute).

the x-member bolts didnt match HR, and therefore it was a "Cheat" to make it fit.. long bolts and steel plates arent too pretty (IMHO).

Did u mean entire x-member (LH) or just steering mounted to HR x-member?

Is ur car running the LH rack and pinion?  I'm assuming it must, otherwise there isnt much benefit besides the disc brakes, which is easier to do using HR front.

Does your car steer at the moment?  what column are you using?

Sorry to answer your question with a question.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
JimmyMac

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2004, 08:57:39 AM »

Ed  (JimmyMac01 as guest is now JimmyMac as member)
Thanks for reply.  I am waiting for delivery of car.  Seller had it for a while and did nothing and is hazy on the details.  I think it is LX front end complete with steering column.  The problem is to do with the turns to lock in one direction but I will not know fully until I get it up on blocks in the shed.  I have all the original parts as well along with several other bits and pieces with some parts missing, like bonnet letters, hubcaps, one inside door trim.  There will be a bit to do.  I will try to attach a photo.  I have not seen the side stripe on any around and wonder if it has a name or history?

Thanks
Jimmy
nicko
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2004, 12:41:41 PM »

very nice start you have there bud,i think they call the chrome pattern on your car a tilley kit ,yours looks like its in great condition.
reguards Nick
« Last Edit: February 26, 2004, 12:42:32 PM by nicko » Logged

robbzfc58
Guru

Gone but not forgotten.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2004, 12:52:05 PM »

looks nice  jimmy   have you got a full side shot
            cheers  trev

robbzfc58
RIP Trevor Robb: a good mate to all on the FE-FC Forum
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2004, 09:14:29 PM »

Nice flash kit,

I haven't a clue about which is what and when they came out, but there are people here that do!

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
4hammers
tas-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2004, 09:29:02 PM »

Yes Guys.
It is a "Tilli" kit alright. A very nice one called the "Crestline". Not many of those about.
Rob J

WTB..FE FC Commercial...Stock plz
JimmyMac

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2004, 11:26:08 AM »

Thanks for the interest folks.  New info tells me the car has a HR front end with LH stub axles and rack and pinion.  Steering is original.  Apparently someone cut the rack, shortened it and rewelded it. I don't like the idea. It won't let the steering go to full lock.
Is there a kit you can buy to bolt on to the HR gear?  I have heard there is a place south side of Brisvegas but don't have a name.
I have included a full length shot of the car for those interested (sorry about the quality).
Jimmy
Effie C

Model: other Holden

Still Lost & Confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2004, 08:29:30 PM »

Jimmy
The place is Rods Racks out Beaudesert Way
John M

LIVE LIFE ONE DAY AT A TIME,FOR TOMORROW MAY NEVER COME!

Photo Site:http://img53.photobucket.com/albums/v161/EffieC/
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2004, 11:41:09 PM »

the torana front mount racks have poor lock-to-lock regardless...

Nature of the beast unfortunately, due to the curvature of the HR X-member and the long steering tie rods and short rack.

obtaining the correct geometry dictates the placement and allowable length of the rack (and therefore length of steering tie rods and rack).

Positioning the steering joints in line with the lower control arm pivots (in a path lining up the front rear pivots)  to eliminate bump steer... SGO has explained this in detail elsewhere in the forum.

Shortened VB comm racks (rear mounted) help  obtain more desirable steering however this normally involves re-working the sump to allow for steering clearance, but can and has been done with striaght 6, V6, even Chev V8 requiring also relocation of the starter motor.

I'm using the torana steering, which only just fits in every sense... just clears engine mount, have notched the subframe to get more clearance for exhaust (which I have just finished making YAY!!.. gobs of clearnace everywhere!!), it's a compromise, but I'm beyond caring, I just want to drive the car.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
jimmymac01
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2004, 10:15:22 AM »

Update just for info.  I am now assembling a HR diff to fit as I need the better ratio for highway driving.  I got hold of a trimatic to fit but it will need a rebuild before fitting.  Next step is to pull the motor and gearbox out and sort out the front end. Once the drive line and front end are done I'll be greyer and poorer.  Cheers for now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: