FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 16, 2024, 11:22:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FE sedan with carpet in back  (Read 7216 times)
fe2ek
vic-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: February 03, 2004, 03:13:54 AM »

Did some Fe sedans come out with carpet on the rear floor and vinyl on the front floor.

Regards Geoff.
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2004, 03:34:09 AM »

Yes.

Exactly when carpet was introduced I'm not sure, although my Sept '56 FE doesn't have it.  I know it was deleted and went back to vinyl some time in early '58, and was only ever vinyl in the FC series.

If I think of it tonight I'll have a look in the master parts catalogue and see if it sheds any light.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2004, 04:54:12 AM »

Hi Geoff, My FE had carpet inthe back, Westminster I think the brand was.
Gary
Geoff_K
nsw-club

The 2 BAY s

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2004, 05:38:53 AM »

My FE Specials (September 56 and October 56 Sydney Build), both have original Westminster Carpet.
Carpet is dark blue, to complement Elk Blue, and Teal Blue over Elk Blue Colour Schemes

Regards,

Geoff_K  
gp

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2004, 08:39:23 PM »

Hi Guys,
From what I can make out, it would appear that the carpet in the back is a carry over from the FJ Special's that also had Westminster carpet in the back. Perhaps Ken could enlighten us??

Cheers,

Graham.
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2004, 02:25:37 AM »

I don't know about that Graham.  My FE is a very early one (body number FE-225-5678, which predates any manufacture at Sydney or Melbourne), and it has a rubber floor mat in the rear.  FWIW it was assembled in Melbourne, one of the last before manufacture commenced there.

I had a look in the parts manual last night, but it was inconclusive.  Some trim codes show both a rubber mat and carpet as a valid option for the rear floor covering.  Others have only a rubber mat.  Surprisingly, some of the carpet options are listed for FE/215 as well as FE/225.  Very strange indeed.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
4hammers
tas-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2004, 03:21:15 AM »

Hi.
There is a fella in the TAS club with an FE his Dad bought brand new in 56. It was a very early car & was optioned with carpet in the back. You probably know him RET, David Mitchell (Blue FE just like yours). BTW, his car was also optioned with a CRANK HANDLE Shocked Shocked Shocked.
Apparently, his Dad who had only ever owned a car with a crank handle, didn't trust a car without one, so demanded the dealer option one on. He must have been VERY persuasive.
Also, the local Shannons agent (Rodney Belbin), has an immaculate metallic green FX with carpet optioned. It is an early car, with the door lock buttons down the back of the door. It was optioned with the full carpet front & back.
This car also has "Georgia" on the firewall. We have always wondered why it looks as if it was written with a finger in the wet paint, but now know (From an earlier post by RET), that it would have been written in chalk & the paint has never adhered, so it came away, leaving it looking like it does.

Rob J

WTB..FE FC Commercial...Stock plz
gp

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2004, 08:34:24 PM »

Well here's something I DO know about. Rob, the early 48/215's all came standard with carpet front & rear!! I'm not sure when the rubber mats became available, but I think it was late '49 or early '50?? I did a fair bit of research on this when we were restoring Dad's car which was built in Sept' '49. This car originally came with all the luxury gear:- leather seats, full carpeting, metallic paint, variable intermittent wipers (Oh, oops, I thought that vacuum wipers were supposed to work like that  Grin Grin), etc. And I bet you all thought that this stuff was reserved for late model luxury cars!!

I'd be interested in seeing some numbers off that car Rob.

Cheers,

Graham.
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2004, 09:42:52 AM »

It seems from more studying of the various parts books that carpets or mats were optional on all FE 225's and 215's.  It also appears that FE217, 219 & 229's only had mats.
It maybe appears that mats were were more expensive than carpets and perhaps carpets were standard issue unless mats were specified.
Possibly very late FE's (1958 production?  or maybe since the release of the wagon - hence no wagons with carpet?) never had carpets at all as they had possibly been superceded by mats entirely, as by the release of the FC carpets had dissapeared entirely.
I don't recall seeing a 1958 FE with carpets - can anyone shed any light here?

Ken
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2004, 11:33:20 AM »

Only that the carpets in my beast looked like they had been fashioned by a blacksmith rather than a GMH design team. Also they were on top of the rubber mats, so must have been an option.
graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2004, 12:38:40 PM »

All I could say is that my 58 FE came standard with mats no carpet.The cost wouldn't have been extra or Dad wouldn't have got them.
Cheers,
Graham
Geoff_K
nsw-club

The 2 BAY s

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2004, 04:25:01 AM »

The rear Westminster carpet came standard with my My FE Special.  My grandfather's car (grey similiar to Wayne Skuse's car, bought at the same time as my Elk Blue Special) had red Westminster carpet.  The rear carpet in my Teal Blue over Elk Blue looks original and is still glued down.
Because the Westminster carpet had no 'give' it was cut to fit the floor profile, and this is quite visible over the tunnel under the front seat.
It is certainly a very 'classy look', but bearing in mind the FE's weather sealing problems, it may have been pragmatic of GMH to remove the problem sometime after the initial launch stock ran down.  Wet rear carpet is not good for Sales!

Cheers

Geoff_K  
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2004, 04:40:23 AM »

I think your right Geoff about it being removed.  The only problem I have is that the FE parts book lists the carpet for all trim codes for FE - this includes the change to the trim in mid 1957.  So at least somewhere past mid 1957 is when it was deleted.   There is also plenty of reports of 1957 cars with standard factory carpets.
Zulu's car is definately a home handyman job as carpets were not fitted over the top of the mats.
Ken
Wayne
nsw-club
Guru

I Love my FE

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2004, 02:30:36 AM »

Mine is an early 57 built Jan and it has the carpet in the rear with mat in front
WAYNE
FCwagon
vic-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2004, 03:26:12 AM »

Came across this sales bulletin (No. M771) from GMH Dandenong to dealers:
27 August 1957,
To All Holden Dealers
Victoria:
"Effective immediately all Holden Special Sedans will be equipped with a rubber mat in the rear seat compartment.
This rubber mat covers the floor previously covered by carpet.
We feel sure that this will prove an added selling feature because of it's attractiveness and ease of cleaning".
sorry but the scan is a copy of a copy so it's not a good copy. (I think that's wot I mean)
cheers,
Leigh

Red & white is alright
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2004, 11:04:11 AM »

Well there you go Cheesy

Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up