FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 17, 2024, 05:30:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Steering Wheel Removal  (Read 4286 times)
mickusmickus

Model: FC

Brisbane, Queensland

View Profile
« on: December 15, 2003, 12:42:15 AM »

Hi Guys
Just having a few problems with the removal of my broken steering wheel.  In the manual it suggests the use of the pulling device but surely there must be an easier way without the use of the tool.

Any clues?Huh??
Michael
4hammers
tas-club
Guru

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2003, 08:57:59 AM »

Hi Michael.
Let us know where you are situated & if you are close someone on the forum, they may have the tool you need to use & help you out.

At the risk of sounding like a complete dumb-arse (because every stupid thing you can do to a car, I seem to have done!), be bloody careful if you try & pull it straight off. I still bear the scars of a remarkably inept attempt to do one myself.
In my FC sedan, I had eveything out of the interior, except the sterring wheel. Man, I tried everything. CRC, screwdrivers, banging it really hard with things but to now avail. So as a last resort, I climbed in the car (No seats at all), gripped onto the wheel with both hands, put a foot onto where the dash was & heaved with all my might. I had not planned past the point of beginning this trick, as being crouched over, when it came off (VERY fast indeed), it smacked me fair in the face, then gravity kicked in & I tumbled backwards, hitting my head on something sharp on the back seat support area.
After the event, the doctor wanted to stich my chin & the top of my head, but I refused, as he was going to have to shave my goatee & my scalp. That was not going to happen.

Anyway, I hope you have taken my advice. I have not attained the rank of "Guru" on this forum for my brains & wisdom, but from learning by experience.

Goodluck,
Rob J

WTB..FE FC Commercial...Stock plz
ekmad
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2003, 09:18:45 AM »

Hi Michael,

A puller is really good at getting the wheel off.  A multifit puller will do the trick. They are pretty cheap at Repco or Supercheap.  I have on in north Brisbane you can borrow.
Otherwise pull the wheel from side to side while pulling it towards the back of the car.  To save smashing it into your face when it does break loose, leave the centre nut on the shaft with only a couple of threads holding - it won't stop the wheel from loosening but will stop a bash to your head ( as per Rob.J )
good luck.
graham
nicko
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2003, 11:44:28 AM »

i have always used a drift to remove steering wheels as its very safe,first undo the nut till it is flush with the top of the steering shaft then get a drift (old 8 inch long extension bar 1/2inch type) or a similar steel rod and holding it on top of nut while putting your knees under steering wheel belt it with a hammer works every time but might take a few belts,the wheel will come loose springing up to the nut with the tension of your knees ,then just undo the nut and take the wheel off.

fccool59

rain sucks     http://www.yout ube.com/watch?v =N1Uj

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2003, 12:12:49 PM »

Sounds pretty bad 4 hammers, in my first go I just felt a little dizzy and wore a lump on my forehead for a couple of days. I've never tried pulling a steering wheel without the nut partly on ever since.
If you are trying to wack or pull the wheel. try to get even pressure from both sides and level with the colum (just under the spokes) and pull upwards on the angle the colum is pointing.
whatever you do make sure you dont pull it with the nut rite off, the nasty headspins can over rule the joy of finally getting it off.

rain sucks  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Ujma1lBac    rain sucks     rain sucks
normd

6 in a row , the way to "GO"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2003, 01:34:28 PM »

Being "mean"     (read as "always broke")
  I have used Nicko's system a few times , it works (even on F@#ds) ,  but Nothing Like Having the "right gear"  

Norm  Smiley

I Love My "FC" 192 . Old but still a "Rev Head"

R.I.P. Norm - A Great Mate to Everyone on the Forum.
mickusmickus

Model: FC

Brisbane, Queensland

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2003, 10:32:50 PM »

Thanks Guys
I have tried pulling but with no success.  By the sounds of it im glad it hasnt come off yet because i didnt have the retaining nut on  Tongue.  But I was wary of this happening so I wasnt in the mood to give it too big of a pull Ill give it another go with the nut on and see how I go.
MICHAEL
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2004, 10:56:29 AM »

A puller is the best thing as some wheels can be very tight indeed.  General purpose pullers wont work as there is no thread in the wheel to insert them into.
I dont like hitting the shaft either with the nut on or off as damage to the ball race can occur pretty easily.

Ken
ChrisB

"Shiny Bits"

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2004, 10:03:46 PM »

Hi Mick,
re the wheel removal, I have had similar experiences as all the above, but after having the wheel repaired and painted I did not want to use rough house tactics. I hunted around and found a wheel puller that suits the commodore / lexcen. It has the same eliptical feet that are required to  twist under the wheel centre as per the original tool.
I had to elongate the puller sideways slide as it did not quiet get there. Make sure you disconnect the battery.
It works a treat and did not cost much.

Cheers ChrisB   Cool
Geoff_K
nsw-club

The 2 BAY s

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2004, 05:20:46 AM »

Many years ago I made a puller out of piece of flat plate and 3 bolts.
a) drill the plate to suit the pull points and the wheel centre.
b) file off part of 2 bolt heads so they can be inserted in the holes and twisted.
c) add nuts to outer bolts.
d) place nut on centre bolt, under plate (add washers to suit), head up.
e) tighten up centre bolt against wheel hub.
f) while tightening nut up tap tead of bolt with hammer.
This all works like a real puller and drift, worked every time.
Problem now is that I have lost it, and I have a steering wheel that needs to come off in a few weeks.  
Saw and bought a cheap universal puller from Kmart last week for $15, but may have to again fabricate 2 special bolts heads (step b) again to make it work.
Sure beats a whack in the face.
Geoff_K
gree

chopped greens

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2004, 07:07:07 AM »

i bought a $7.00 puller with many different sized bolts from an auto accessories store, and it works great. i also had my wheel re-conditioned and thought better of using the ol' hammer on the shaft trick.

for that price it's not worth the hassles of trying any other way i think

simon
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: