FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 04, 2024, 11:07:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Crunch when changing gears  (Read 5856 times)
Kermit

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: December 14, 2003, 07:49:41 AM »

i have recently purchased an FC and i notice that when the gearbox is cold it changes up and down through the gears no problems, but as soon as it warms up it basically crunches going into, or out of, each gear + sometimes it jumps out of 3rd when sitting on 90klm or more. i also notice that once it has crunched going into "a gear", you can pull it in and out as many times as you like and it wont crunch, until you have the need to change into another gaer then it starts over again.  Can anyone advise me where to start looking for the problem "by the way it has a standard box with a floor shift fitted.

Your help would be appreciated
Just_Mick
craiga
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2003, 11:36:17 AM »

Hi Mick,

Dumb question, but if its worse when its hot does it have enough oil? and of the correct viscosity? I'd drain the thing anyway and see what comes out. It won't cost much and it's easy to do.

If this doesn't help you may find the linkages are out of adjustment. There is a separate selector for the engagement of 1/Rev or 2/3 gears which must push the selector shaft to the correct position for the complete enagement of gears. Maybe your shifter is worn or maladjusted?

Still no good and it may be that you have a synchro problem. Some parts are hard to get but one of the guys in the club recommends someone at Greenacre who can rebuild grey boxes. There are also some mechanics in the club who will do it for you (Al Wall/Mal Owen) or you could just buy second hand.

Good Luck.

Cheers,

Craig.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2003, 11:36:48 AM by craiga » Logged
Kermit

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2003, 12:52:06 PM »

Craig,
What oil do you recomend i refill it with ?
Rgds
Mick
craiga
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2003, 01:05:13 PM »

Mick,

The club went to a tech presentation at Castrol earlier in the year and the guys recommendation was to use Castrol ST-90.

Hope it turns out to be simply low on oil.

Cheers,

Craig.
nicko
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2003, 01:19:04 PM »

the main worries have just been covered but there is one more simple problem that floor shifts suffer from,with early  (crash ) gearboxes the floor change shifter can be pushed too fast for the old boxes to engage the syncro rings therefore trying to engage the next gear faster than the box can physically handle.
especially with straightline impala type

Kermit

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2003, 09:32:45 PM »

Thanks Craig and Nicko, you have given me a place to start from
Cheers
Mick
Kermit

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2003, 10:29:39 PM »

Hey Craig !
You gave me a bum steer regarding checking the oil as i checked it and I Have "no oil problem" as there was no oil in the box !
i wonder now how long it has been like that and what damage may have been done with almost no oil !
Thanks again Craig "from a novice"
Rgds
Mick
craiga
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2003, 01:40:41 AM »

Great news Mick, you wouldn't be the first one to find out they had a "no oil" problem, hey RET  Wink

Good to hear you're sorted.

Cheers,

Craig

4hammers
tas-club
Guru

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2003, 01:58:14 AM »

Hi Mick.
Good news that the oil problem is sorted. As our fearless leader RET pointed out, it could have been a lot worse. Trust me, I know!! Embarrassed
You may notice a great improvement from now on.
Rob J

WTB..FE FC Commercial...Stock plz
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2003, 05:22:14 AM »

Jeez Craig, and here I was thinking you could keep a secret Grin

For those few left who don't know Roll Eyes, I drove my modified FE (Faecal) home from Homebush to Penrith via Concord and Leonay with almost no oil in the motor whatsoever.  And not particularly slowly either.  There must have been just enough in it to keep the bottom end a bit wet (and to show average pressure on the gauge), but the top end was pretty rattly!  Craig was with me and since the gauge seemed to show oil, we were theorising about bent pushrods and collapsed lifters etc etc.

But a couple of litres of oil and she was as quiet as she ever was (a very relative statement, that!)  Very luckily for me, no apparent lasting damage.  Won't do that again in a hurry though, just the same.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
fccool59

rain sucks     http://www.yout ube.com/watch?v =N1Uj

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2003, 07:05:04 AM »

reminds me of the time I decided to fit another fan to my radiator the night before Summernats.
on the last stretch of road from Newcastle to Canberra I remembered that I had to remember to fill the radiator before I left but didnt remember to do it. fortunately I found some taps in NATEX and filled it up after travelling over 400 k's dry,
The motor has been running for about 4 years since with no noticable problems.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2003, 11:52:50 AM by fccool59 » Logged

rain sucks  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Ujma1lBac    rain sucks     rain sucks
Kermit

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2003, 08:59:43 AM »

Thanks again, got the ST90 in her as Craig suggested, she's running like a charm, the box was so dry it sucked the lid off the oil container.
Thanks guy's
Rgds
Mick
normd

6 in a row , the way to "GO"

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2003, 01:53:19 PM »

Hey RET
     Ya should have been prepared mate  Grin ,
  When we were moving up here from Sydney , I had a BMW , (Blue Mazda Wagon) E1400 , with 277,000k's on the motor , it was that good , before I left Sydney , I would buy "3 X 5Lt oil , 3 X sets plugs ,= 1 Oil & plugs to get here, 400 k , 1 Oil & plugs , here 4 days , that left me 1 Oil & 1 set of plugs to get home ..... mmmm,   wonder why I replaced the motor  Huh
   No crunching gears , but VERY rattly motor

Norm  Smiley
« Last Edit: December 15, 2003, 01:54:28 PM by normd » Logged

I Love My "FC" 192 . Old but still a "Rev Head"

R.I.P. Norm - A Great Mate to Everyone on the Forum.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: