FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 20, 2024, 02:25:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Stromberg Compatability - Twin Carb Setup Setup  (Read 489 times)
Jolls
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2024, 06:52:09 AM »
+1

An XU-1 at the Mt Druitt shops?  That would be like putting a sign on it saying, "Steal me".

Part of a bigger story. I had swapped a SLR 500 "clone" for the XU1 as the XU1 ran like a dog. I had completed the mechanical to get it running right and prepped the car for paint. To save some $ I volunteered to spend an extended time in Shoalwater Bay, driving from Holsworthy to, prepping for, participating in, cleaning up afterwards and then driving back from a major Army Exercise (I was a posted to 1 Field Squadron in Holsworthy at the time). My live in girlfriend at the time (now wife) was given strict instructions to keep the car garaged. Which she did - until it rained and she didn't want to catch the bus to the station to catch the train into Parramatta. She decided to drive the car to the station. The police called her (she was also on the rego) and told ther they had caught someone trying to stel the car at around lunchtime. They said they would be keeping an eye on it during their patrols at it wss a likely target. (mm should have come home and rescued it). The got a call around 3pm saying they had caught another person attempting to steal (alarm bells should be ringing by now). When she finished work and got back at around 6.30pm the car was gone.

When asked why she left it at the station - it was raining didn't want to get my hair wet walking to the bus. Why she didn't come back after the first attempt at it being stolen - the policce said they were watching it and I didn't want to take time off work in case I lost my job, and the final one that really kicked me (admitted some time late) I didn't like driving it anyway, the clutch was hard and it was too fast.

This is the same lovely lady who hit a pole with our first FC (in the rain with vacuum wipers) and wrote it off (fortunately no one was seriosuly injured). Fortunately she has many other great charteristics so we have been married for the last 38 years.

Cheers n Beers

Jolls
Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2024, 08:13:17 AM »

Craig,

You wrote, "you will need to rejet the carbys or they will run rich as you are doubling the fuel intake which will be too rich at idle/low revs and foul plugs"

This is a common misconception, but in fact isn't true. 

This got me thinking. Bear with me... I've been trying to dissolve some of this fluid mechanics stuff in ethanol for the last 30 years.

There is some complexity here when changing from singles to twins (or triples, or fourtles  Cheesy). The inlet manifold flow path is very different, and gas density changes in venturis can screw with Bernouli's ideal world venturi model. Ignore that for now, as grey motors are not that precise.

Agree that the main jetting should be very, very close to needing no change when going from singles to twins or triples (or fourtles). The trick here is that the venturi pressure drop is dependant on the square of the gas flow through it. That same pressure differential is what the main metering jet sees. The liquid flow through the main metering jet is dependant on the square root of the flow through it. Simplifying the mefs, the square and the square root cancel each other out. This means that no matter how many carbs you add, as long as they see their equal flow of gas, they will meter the same amout of fuel.

The power bypass valve system is driven by the same pressure differential, so in theory no need to change the power valve either.

But...

The above applies to the main metering system, which is driven by the venturi. The idle system is not... it is driven by the inlet manifold pressure (this is because the main metering jet discharges into the venturi, whilst the idle system discharges into the throttle body. Simplifying a bit, the inlet manifold pressure does not change much with singles, twins, triples or fourtles. Adding more carbs, they all see the inlet manifold pressure, and they all deliver (roughly) the same idle fuel flow as a single. This means that when going to twins, you need to wind the idle system right down. There is an overlap between the idle system and main metering system, so getting the idle right not only effects the idle quality but also the main metering quality. If you are lucky, there is enough finesse in the idle mixture screws to rest the idle after going to twins, triples or fourtles. If you are unlucky the idle mixture screw is not so fine when it is close to it's seat. In that case a change to the idle tube is required.

The accelerator pumps are independent (roughly) of vacuum, but with twins, triples or fourtles you now have twice, double or four times the fuel shot each time the loud pedal is depressed. The pump circuit thus needs a tweak to deliver less fuel, though for a relatively rough grey motor the average owner won't notice a difference.

Cheers,
Harv
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2024, 09:00:52 AM »

I admire your knack of making complex stuff understandable to a dill like me 😃

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode)