FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 29, 2024, 02:43:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Wagon Roof Lining  (Read 2894 times)
rickjen
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: November 21, 2015, 06:54:08 AM »

Hi all, am just about to remove the perfectly good roof lining so I can respray the interior cabinet shell properly. Tried masking it but not very successful. They tell me that it will never go back properly or will tear when I try putting it back.
Any hints, suggestions would be very appreciated.
Regards
Rick

PS Looking for 1 x short and 1 x long sub chassis bottom bolts if someone has spares, live in central west NSW, happy to add cost of postage to bolts.  ( rare spares will not split ) thanks

rickjen
DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 09:27:13 AM »

In my case, I found it fell apart in places while removing and not always at the joins. It was too fragile for re stretching or re stitching anyway. Recommend you talk to Jims Trim where you are. Glenn (Stinky) on this forum was able to get some lining in a similar pattern a while ago so would be worth contacting also. He has the template & can knock one up - glennst@fefcholden.org.au.

Dave
0417 270 315
Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 01:19:50 PM »

Mine  (EK wagon) was in pretty good shape too - felt flexible, and no tears. I took it out gently, and it did not rip the vinyl. However, the fabric loops that hold the steel hoodliner bows did not survive. The cotton fabric had become very brittle, and the bows tore through them as they flexed.

Cheers,
Harv
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 01:30:53 PM »

One thing you could try is to gently lever the windlace retainer away and remove the windlace.
Then you should be able to mask up effectively by pushing the tape up into the space where the windlace came from.
It is very difficult to get the hood liner out without tearing it because the little teeth on the retainer hold on very tight and the slightest wrong move results in a rip.
FB and EK hood liners are easier to get out because they have a screw on retainer.

Ken
rickjen
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 02:42:57 PM »

looks like the chances of removing, storing and reinstalling, chances are close to zero. A shame because it is absolutely perfect and not a mark on it. I will try what Ken suggested and see if I can mask it up properly that way. Anything is worth a try, thanks for your inputs.
rick

rickjen
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: