FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 29, 2024, 09:18:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: steering arm selection  (Read 12041 times)
gwuthie

View Profile
« on: February 23, 2010, 03:03:20 AM »

HR front end.
HQ stubs
Shortened Comm rack....

Was looking for hk steering arms but have found a pair of lc/lj ones for sale. Are these any good for correct geometry?? (they look a fair bit different to my untrained eye!)

thanks
gwuthie
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 08:28:30 AM »

This may help you  gwuthie  see the difference  and see why the LC LJ are not suited to your conversion ....Left to right  HR ..HK... HT HG.....HQ WB ...LC....LH.....the only one missing in HQ HZ with power steering a shorter arm than the manual steer HQ WB  ........FC427....
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 04:18:57 PM by stinky » Logged

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
FB_MAD

I can't think what to write here so this will do.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 09:37:21 AM »

Hope this helps,

I have LC/LJ , HR , HQ "power steering ", and HJ manual steering arms here at home ( LC/LJ arms at a mates place ATM ).

The LC/LJ arms are 75 mm between the centre of the first bolt hole ( the closest one to the tie rod boss ) and the centre of the tie rod boss hole.

The HR arms are 120 mm from centre of first bole hole to centre of tie rod boss hole.

The HQ " power steering" arms are 90 mm from centre of first bolt hole to centre of tie rod boss hole.

The HJ manual arms are 120 mm from centre of first bolt hole to centre of tie rod boss hole.

The photo of FC 427 shows a HQ "power steering" arm ( third in from right, not a manual arm ) which is 90 mm bolt hole to bolt hole.

The HJ manual steering arm ( not shown in photo ) is pretty much identical to this HQ 90 mm "power steering" arm but is longer at 120 mm.

So the actual photo missing is the manual steering arm HJ, not the "power steering" arm.

Has anybody seen my red pen??
Motorsportlady

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 06:15:01 PM »

/img]/img][/img]
 This may help you  gwuthie  see the difference  and see why the LC LJ are not suited to your conversion ....Left to right  HR ..HK... HT HG.....HQ WB ...LC....LH.....the only one missing in HQ HZ with power steering a shorter arm than the manual steer HQ WB  ........FC427....

Hi FC427,

Which arm out of HR, HK and HT HG has the most curve away from the rim?
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 07:41:59 PM »

Third from the left . HQ with the stop cut off is the right length for rear mounted [commodore] . I'm saying that if the inner and outer are correct and you have std. number of teeth this is the right length but to get closer to correct geometry you have to pull the arms inward . You can space the [now] back mounting hole with a thick washer[around 3mm ?] or what I do [not recommended by your engineer so don't tell ] machine it off the front hole between the arm and the stub ,the arm at the tie rod end has only to come in about 10mm from where it was because it is shorter than the HR . Haydn
FireKraka

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 02:42:20 PM »

Hi gwuthie
Mate I have used HR steering arms on both of my rear mounted manual steering rack conversions and they seem to work fine.

This subject has probably been discussed a lot on the forum do a search and I'm sure you will be able to read quite a lot of different opinions.

Good luke
Regards
Neil H
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 06:28:08 PM »

X2 HR steer arms rear mounted rack

hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 10:40:01 PM »

I'm tired of this subject now . All I will say is the obvious . Disconnect your rack from the tie rods and turn the steering from lock to lock and you should have slightly more than 3.5 turns if your rack has been shortened correctly . Now centre the rack and check the centre to full lock travel of the rack end and measure it . Now measure the full lock of the stub axle at the steering arm from centre alignment at the tie rod hole of the arm to full lock . Like I said I find the HQ arms or shorter will give you full lock [might even find that removing the spring tower lip will give you more than original] . Nothing wrong with using longer arms if you can live with a larger turning circle but it messes with my head in car parks as I drove stock early for so many years. Haydn   
collecta
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 12:04:18 AM »
+1

This thread was started in Feb 2010 gwuthie hasn't visited since 2011  Grin Grin Grin

i collect old holdens coz they never die!
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2015, 08:02:21 AM »

Hayden is done. We are all punching out now!!! 😖hahahaha

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode)