FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 08, 2024, 11:58:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Door weather strips  (Read 2906 times)
mickrat

Model: FE

View Profile
« on: September 15, 2014, 09:29:26 PM »

Having trouble fitting these to three of my doors. One door is fine seems to be a wide gap for the two weather strips plus the glass. Any body had this problem. And how did you over come it

1957 fe special sedan    (rusty one )    1958 business sedan   ( good one )   

mickrat

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 12:52:00 PM »

No takers on my problem. The gap were the glass comes through is very small on three of my doors yet on is fine. With the strips in place with much difficulty there is not enough room for the glass. I've wedged one enough to get glass through but it is very difficult to run the glass up and down would it be advisable to try and wedge this gap to gain mote clearance. What thoughts ate out there !!!  Mickrat

ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 05:47:17 PM »

Mickrat,

The gaps are of variable width.  But I'm assuming your panels have new paint on them so the normal "adjustments" are likely to be a little destructive.

But . . . the clips on the reproduction weatherstrips are all over the place.  You'll definitely run into trouble if the clips are too close to the "top" (the rolled bright metal bit) of the weatherstrip, because the rolled section will want to sit inside the gap, rather than on top of the door's waistline.  If you've kept any of the original weatherstrips, use them as a guide to see where the clips on the replacement ones should go.

It's a lot of stuffing around to get the clips in the right place, but sometimes there's no alternative.

And, of course, the length of the repro weatherstrips is all over the shop too.  Trim them to length, once you've got the bailey channels in place.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 06:43:10 PM »

I've just measured my doors, the space between each clip hole is approx.113mm centres while the gap between the frame and outer skin is approx.17mm wide. The overall length of the belt strip is 494 mm front and 510mm rear for a sedan. You can remove the clips and reposition them to suit by gently levering them off with a small flat blade screwdriver and press them back on with a pair of pliers. The easiest thing would be to run some tape along the edge of the door frame and mark where each hole is and transfer this to the strip for each door. The use of a wedge will help in widening the gap for the glass .
Regards Jim

on the seventh day: God Made Holden
mickrat

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 03:33:50 AM »

My door gaps are only 12 mm. New paint got them taped  got the strips and clips in ok. Just no room for the glass. Going to remove strips and put 3 mm aluminium angle down the inside out over the top edges  iI've made up a flat piece with a handle to go between the angle and gently try to prize the gap out to 17+ mm something to look at before a paint job   Mickrat

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: