FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 29, 2024, 08:16:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Repairing shifter tubes  (Read 2175 times)
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« on: January 25, 2014, 10:05:25 AM »

I want to fix the shifter tube from my son's HR, the selector at the bottom of the tube has broken off.
My guess is to find exactly where it has to line up and mark it, then grind off all the braze weld and then I can MIG it.
Am I on the right track or is there something I have missed?

collecta
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 04:04:18 PM »

Sounds like your on the right track. I know the columns share a bit with the earlier ej/h i have a complete eh one you can have if the tubes interchange.

Scott

i collect old holdens coz they never die!
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 08:23:11 AM »

Interesting little project . I've never repaired one in the 40+ years that I have been playing with FE-FC . Has the whole flange broken off or has the captured nut broken out letting the selector bracket fall out? Can you post some photos .Haydn
collecta
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 06:07:18 PM »

The ones i've seen or repaired were broken at the steering wheel end where the gear shift stick engage's the shift tube.

Scott

i collect old holdens coz they never die!
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 06:23:20 PM »

FC tubes typically break at the top but a design change at FB fixed that problem. Later ones are not usually prone to breakage, but if they do it is at the bottom.
I'm not sure that mig is the best solution on such a thin profile. It is a high stress application and I think it is likely to break again.
Based on the ease of getting a good replacement I would just swap it out.
Ken
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 12:41:54 PM »

Long story short, I did repair with a MIG, then had to do some grinding, then found I didn't align the parts correctly before welding  Angry
Then it all got too hard and I remembered the HR Column in my FE, the column shift had been removed and blanked, luckily the shift tube was still there, so out it came and was installed in my boy's HR after I made some alignment marks in case this one breaks.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: