FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 23, 2024, 04:21:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: a better handbrake handle option  (Read 6310 times)
Factory Custom

View Profile
« on: July 30, 2013, 07:47:04 PM »

Was there a common swap back in the day or in the 70's or 80's that put the handbrake handle assembly on the floor? either between bucket seats or on the right side of the drivers chair.

I'm not about to change the main loop cable, it's near brand new.
fe350chev
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 08:38:14 PM »

I take it your running a banjo rear drum setup?

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 08:52:58 PM »

Camira in 80's and HQ in 70's I have seen. Personally I hate the look of plastics on a classic handbrake or surrounds. If I were you I would search ebay with "hotrod handbrake" or "vw beetle handbrake" or go for other real simple internal mechanisms which are similar to the camira. If you want early holden, the HQ type is plentiful and you can get new chrome ones ($100 to $140), at the very least I would choose one that can have a black leather boot put on it to hide the modern finish of any other handbrake or I would try to get a hotrod billet aluminum handle and surround so that you can anodize it any colour you like to suit your car.

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
john253a

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 09:23:43 PM »

You could keep what you have and put a tail shaft brake on it

Good + Fast = Not Cheap
Cheap + Fast = Not Good
Good + Cheap = Not Fast
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 09:35:04 PM »

Cut a hole in floor and use fred flintstone brakes  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Deano

hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 10:00:55 AM »

Sorry , I'm not getting it. If someone needs help ,just give it to them, and I don't mean making fun of them. I have a right side of the bench seat floor mounted 1950 Hillman minx handbrake hanging in my shed ,stripped and painted ready to install in my hotrod [1948 Vauxhall 3 window] but chose to go with bench seat and column shift.The column shift was a fail [too much travel in the shift cable due to too many bends]. Anyway, I went back to the Vauxhall handbrake under the dash. This is the point ,the lc lj torana rear end has 2 separate cables [different lengths] unlike most holdens, but identical to the Vauxhall setup .The floor mounted handbrake lever from the Hillman is no different to most of the jap levers of the 80's or early 90's,your upholstery guy can make a boot over it . As for the comment that you could use a VW lever, well yes but if you go to a hotrod shop and have a look past the chrome you will discover the floor mounted brake is identical to a 80's Datsun or corolla. Side note my ideas sometimes come faster than my typing but if you needed a cable for a shortened commodore rearend in a lc lj torana then the early vw beetle cables are two separate cables threaded one end and have the other end like commadore  and should be perfect for that app. But for a simple mod. use 1980-1983 series 1,2,3 bluebird or a corolla of the same era. If you are not able to shorten a handbrake cable yourself ,mark it with tape and cut it off ,plenty of places will put the ball back on the end. At the lever end use your original cable clevis then find an old front cable and use the threaded bracket ,a piece of threaded rod and flat bar to adapt it .
FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 05:11:27 PM »

The LOKAR handbrake assembly for hot rods is a tidy unit.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=lokar+handbrake+assembly&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=hLj4UaP1HYSMlQXM0YDABg&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1600&bih=756#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=vtdg1HDwOUaWtM%3A%3BdYRj_bmVBKSqSM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.moserengineering.com%252Fmedia%252Fcatalog%252Fproduct%252Fcache%252F1%252Fimage%252F5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d%252F6%252Fe%252F6ec80fu.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.moserengineering.com%252Fbrakes%252Fbrake-accessories%252Fpart-6ec80fu-lokar-universal-parking-brake-cable-kit-1.html%3B640%3B348

hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 05:28:32 PM »

Ok thought i'd show this old Hillman handbrake. Like I said same as modern one. The seatbelt reels are under the back floor so as to allow seat to go back further. The sunvisors are Datsun with holden mounts.

The glovebox is also Datsun, its plastic but has a map light and a mirror.
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 08:58:07 PM »

HSV, I scrolled back up to see who i was replying to, I don't get what you are saying. He asked for "back in the day" examples of what people might have been doing in those eras. I gave him 2 examples (1 of each option) that I know of that look and worked ok, I will not be silenced by anyone not to share my opinions, as this is a forum. The place to justify your own build is on your own build pages or threads if need be, not on a simple thread question, I would have thought. There are also usually contexts to peoples opinions, say for instance I had been PM'ing this bloke about how bad my holes in my floor were to encourage them to keep at it, that would not be making fun at anyone with my comment, but it would not be making fun of anyone for saying about Fred flintstone either, unless the person receiving the comment was offended by it....I would have thought. Please, This is the 3rd time you have done this (to me) . Pls PM me if you have a problem with my posts in future or do the proper thing and tell a moderator and let them decide if the comment is worthy of removal or not in the spirit of the forum. That orangy colour looks cool against the Grey's, I was thinking of this type of thing for my interior, but with a dash of the right blue.

Deano

hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 02:29:43 PM »

Sorry I'll be more careful where I post and what I post, or maybe if I bother. The photo of the Hillman handbrake was to show how little they have changed since they tipped them over in the 40's. The piece of old console around the photo of my handbrake is only handy storage space. What I was trying to get across was that nearly all of the  centre floor jap handbrake units once removed from the console are the same basic design which is much the same as the ones advertised in my ASRF monthly newsletter, plenty  of which I have installed. I had joined numerous auto clubs over the years some more than once and often find a small number of dominant individuals ruin it for everybody. The only reason I have for posting anything on this forum is in trying to help.  I was not aware that I needed a resume . But I am a member of the ASRF and a muscle car club and have been in many other car clubs including FE FC club three times and quit for reasons noted above. I was also a member of the FX FJ holden club when it began back in 70's .Worked in garages and workshops in the 70's in the biggest holden dealership in qld in the 80's as well as some spare parts outlets . But your right ,I"ll be more careful in the future.         
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2013, 02:44:58 PM »

Ease up guys, we are talking about cars not world politics.
A mix of humour and advice is generally accepted around the forum, keeps the mood light and enjoyable for most, if a post upsets you use the rating and/or report to moderator buttons.
Thanks.

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 06:54:59 PM »

Its all cool. honestly. I am not a member of any car club and haven't really been in the past either. But have been associated with many people who do builds and who appreciate car resto and so forth. Its great to see people like you so enthusiastic out there, it shows the passion we all have for the subject  Wink

Deano

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: