FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 29, 2024, 01:32:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Harmonic Balancer Noise  (Read 2830 times)
Rod

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« on: April 23, 2013, 12:33:19 AM »

Firstly sorry in advance if this has been covered before. I have done a search but can't find any info specifically.

I have had this concerning "dry" metallic noise (almost bearing in nature)coming from the motor (grey). It started a couple of weeks ago and went away for a while and has come back. Initially it seemed quite pronounced when cold but now it seems to do it when warm also. Its very hard to locate the location. Initially I thought it was coming from the mid - back section but then thought it maybe from the front. I tested the water pump and generator by taking the fan belt off and running for a short while. Noise was still present.

I listened closely and suspected distributor or oil pump. The distributor did feel different to another that I had. Anyway I thought I would would test this theory by placing the second one in place. As I didn't have the fan belt in place I had I to grasp the harmonic balancer to get No.1 to TDC for timing purposes. At this point I realised that the plate at the front of the balance was loose. Could this be the source of the noise (please tell me it is as I don't want it to be internal). I have taken the balance off so will test another on.

I see you can still get these from Rares but are more the Red Motor type. Can you still get the originals with the internal thread etc...

Thanks in advance.

Rod
collecta
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 12:59:35 AM »

Hi Rod,
 definately sounds like your balancer, can almost sound like a big end rumble very metalic. Change with the newer style and all should be quiet again. The original style is not available new.

cheers
Scott

i collect old holdens coz they never die!
Rod

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 03:37:57 PM »

Thanks Scott,

One thing I forgot to mention was the noise tended to be non existant when cruising but when accelerating it tended to be much more noticable. Going to try a good secondhand one while I wait for the new one to arrive.

Cheers

Rod
Rod

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 11:31:54 PM »

Can confirm noise was harmonic balancer. Placed second hand one on to confirm. Now to get a new one. Thanks again Scott. Cheers

Rod
Rod

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 12:48:26 PM »

Well my joy was short lived! While the noise was considerable quieter there was still some noise.

As it turns out it was the distributor that was the culprit. There was significant end float (1-2mm as opposed to the 4-8 thou). Once I pulled it apart the fibre washer at the base of the Mechanical Advance Weights Plate (ie: the pivot point to the body) was shot and non existant. So much so that it had worn this point of contact. I rebuilt another as I wanted to go back to the Pertronix Ignition. Haven't placed it in yet. I did place another one in for the time being with points for testing purposes. This is what confirmed the fault. I did notice even with this in there was a difference in performance (for the better). This grinding must has effected the advance in some way.

I am not saying the harmonic balancer wasn't contributing. I think it was part of the noise as there was a significant improvement once replaced.

Cheers

Rod
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: