FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 28, 2024, 04:15:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Engineering modified vehicles  (Read 1739 times)
brett_f

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: March 01, 2013, 06:59:13 PM »

Hi Guys, Its been a long journey. I have finally got the engineer papers/report for my vehicle today. Just have to take it to Vic roads for rego. Been holding off sending this message as something always seems to happen to dampen the mood. Well where do i start. I will try and keep it short. This is for those either ready to modify their vehicles or those who have already started. Approx 4-5 years ago i had an engineer come and inspect vehicle for required mods. Everything ok.
Had same engineer attend vehicle on numerous occasions to make sure everything ok. Said on one occassion i need to run cats. Next occassion said you know you dont need cats however you need anti pollution set up. Next occassion after set up said you didnt need to set up anti pollution. WTF! New laws come in. Ask if everything still ok. Says may not get 308 in now. Might have to call it a 253. WTF! (engine has 308 number). Get another engineer involved and says no problem to engineer if pre-engineered. Comes and inspects car even takes for drive. Nice car but i want some minor things done Ok fine. Thens asks who did back diff. Told him Mc Donald Bros. Says ok when you have done small items i will come back during week to do brake fade test and sign off if ok. All good. That night i get email from engineer who states Mc Donald Bros are to supply all details of modifications including shocker travel. Must be in a report form. Then wants the vehicle for two days to do testing. WTF!. Speak to McDonald bros who states thats bull s##t. Will get back to you. Two months later and several phone calls nothing.Getting all too hard now. Get another engineer involved. Says providing you can show car has been pre-engineered before new laws should be no problems. Showed pre-engineering report all good. Applies for exemption from Vic roads all good. $2500 later engineered (included reworking seatbelt mounting plates and supplying centre rear seat belt). Have to pay as it will become harder.
Hope this helps people to understand what we are going through at the moment. Hopefully registered this week if i can get in.
Regards Brett
john253a

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 07:15:20 PM »

sounds all to familiar,
good luck and dont wait to long to book in (like i did) as the report is only valid for 30days and in conjunction with a rwc that need to be in date after the engineers report is signed off

Good + Fast = Not Cheap
Cheap + Fast = Not Good
Good + Cheap = Not Fast
Trevor_B
vic-club

Melbourne VIC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 07:18:00 PM »

Well done Brett,
You certainly have faced some challenges along the way but it sounds like the perseverance has been worthwile.

I remember when the VIC FE FC Club visited a couple of years back and you were so close then, your car looked fantastic then and recent photos show it should be a real beauty.

You have been wise to get the pre-engineering visits, I remember about 5 years ago at the VIC club we had a VASS Engineer speak on mods and that was the best information he offered - get your concept documented and approved in principle before you start!.

Be great if you cold bring it along to the VIC Club FE FC State Titles on 21st April at Moorabbin Airport.

Cheers,
Trevor_B

FC Sedan, Ute & Wagon .... only a Panel Van required to make the set
brett_f

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 08:01:54 PM »

John and Trev, Thanks guys. It has been really stressfull just knowing it should have not have been this hard in the end. Yes i also have the roadie and not promising anything Trev but if work allows i would love to be there. Will keep you updated. Next step is i am contemplating changing the wheels. Not sure what i will use yet but may have to order some from the states as there is not much on offer here in 18".
Brett
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: