FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 21, 2024, 03:51:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Tailights,Blinkers etc  (Read 2457 times)
RichFC
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: September 10, 2012, 11:40:39 AM »

Gday guys, I was wondering if anyone can shed some light on lenses,tailights,reverse lights and blinkers etc.
I have 3 and a half FC utes at present each have different lenses,some clear some amber and only one ute has a blinker stalk
on the steering column. Im a little confused ! Did the brake lense flash for indicating? Was the clear lense a reverse light? Or was it reverse and indicator light?
I am also wanting to swap steering column with blinker stalk into ute without a stalk so i can have indicators in the ute im restoring ?
Is this difficult wiring wise?
I know thats alot of questions all at once but im sure someone can point me in the right direction ?
All 3 utes are 1958 models. Obviously i dont know what the half ute is ! But that doesnt matter because it is going to be reborn as
a 3 seater lounge for my living room complete with light up tailights! Cant wait !
Thank you very much everyone ! love the club and the forum !!!!
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 03:37:28 PM »
+1

Happy to help.

Only Special Sedans and Special Station Sedans came factory fitted with indicators. Utes, vans and 'Standard' passenger vehicles had no blinkers.

Obviously blinkers were routinely fitted after-market. There were strap-on style kits that were carried over from 48-FJ models (none of which had blinkers), that fitted around the steering column. There was also a NASCO blinker kit that had all the globes and other bits and pieces required to add blinkers to a standard vehicle. The wiring loom that runs through the body of the car included connections for this - you didn't have to run additional wiring to install these. There is a blanking plate where the blinker stalk fits on original standard vehicles, but this could be replaced with the complete steering column blinker assembly from a Special.

All FEs and most FCs that had factory or NASCO indicators had flashing brake-lights, and the clear lens at the bottom of the tail-light assembly was only used for reversing lights where fitted. (Reversing lights were an accessory, not fitted as standard equipment on any FE/FC, but like the indicators, the necessary wiring was part of the loom.)

FCs manufactured in the last few months of 1959 had amber indicators separated from the brake-lights into the lower part of the tail-light assembly. There's a bit more info on this topic in the Tech Info section. You'll also find an excellent diagram in the Electrical section of the Workshop Manual that shows how the blinker can connects to the brake and indicators to make this entire arrangement work. Also, towards the bottom of the Tech Info index page, you'll see links to some Wiring Diagrams that might be quite useful when working on this.

Hope all that's helpful.

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
RichFC
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 07:33:12 PM »

Excellent ! Thanks RET, MUCH APPRECIATED !!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: