FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 28, 2024, 03:19:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: GREY MOTOR CAM HELP!!!!  (Read 9222 times)
lubey86

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« on: October 14, 2010, 03:23:43 PM »

Hi All,

By way of Introduction, my Name is Nick, people call me lubey because of my surname (nothing sinister I promise).

I am new to this forum as I am the relatively new owner of an EJ. My question is surrounding waggott cams i see for sale at rare spares.

The numbering is confusing me. I am currently in the process of installing extractors & twin strommies, and i plan to do a little head work down the track. For now though i'd like to switch to Alloy cam gear, and also get a nice lumpy idle.

My question is, for the modifications i have at the moment (extractors & twin strommies) what would be the biggest overlap i should go on the grey without making it a pig to take off in. I am currently running standard 3 on the tree and standard diff, which i am not planning on changing.

I have seen on one forum that 30-70 is the most that you should go without having more serious work done to the engine, but then elsewhere i have been told 30-70 is way too much overlap.

The options at rarespares are 20-60, 27-61, 30-70, 40-80, and 23-60

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am not looking for much on the preformance side with this upgrade, mostly for the nice lumpy idle sound. but i don't want to have a situation where taking off from a standstill is difficult.

Thanks in advance

Nick

mickusmickus

Model: FC

Brisbane, Queensland

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 03:46:48 PM »

Gday Nick,

I went down a similar track asking this exact question when I rebuilt my motor, unfortunately it is yet to make it into the car so I can't comment on it from an operational perspective.  The advice I was given, based on a very similar set-up (with larger valves and a bore out to 149) to what you have described was to go with a 20-60. 

I am sure you will get plenty of feedback on this question from blokes who are actually running their motors as opposed to looking at them sitting in the corner.

MICK
lubey86

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 05:40:21 PM »

Thanks Mick,

I was originally thinking about boring out the block, shave the head, port polish, triple SU's but then out of nowhere, I had a major problem with my other car (a BMW M3 of all things, DO NOT BUY ONE OF THESE UNLESS IT IS BRAND SPANKING NEW) which required a full engine rebuild at a lovely cost of 13K, that's a month after doing the head gasket on the bloody thing@!!!!!

I hate that car, but at the same time i love it, because after a year of owning it (before my engine blew up), my hatred of its complexity drove me to look for another car that was simple in it's design. One that I could work on myself, and has a charm to it, a charm lost in today's cars.....which is when i found the EJ  Cheesy

Anyway getting back on track, I am sure there is someone out there that has a very similar set up to the one i am going for....

Thanks for your help Mick, hope the engine finds its way into the car soon!

fjuteman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 09:15:35 AM »

We used to have a M3 we nick named it the BMtroubleU
lubey86

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 01:13:04 PM »

I like the acronym Broken Money Waster or Bought My Wife

pop

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 09:56:50 PM »

Hi Nick....Years ago, we tryed lots of differant combinations, close to what r/spares offer now.Back then [i'm 55]  Waggott was the pick of tha bunch for a grey motor. I ran an fc van and a sedan with motors from mild to wild, great days, but for what you want for now I would suggest, 25/65 cam, 10tho off the head, double valve springs, & if you have excess to a die grinder, just smooth out the exhaust & inlet ports, tunned lenght extractors, [to extract rather than bigger valves], tunned twins & a good balance. This combo was reliable, with go, the 30/70's never semed to last, but every one wanted one, a littel to much on the bottem end. A lot more has  happend over tha  years so why not give waggott a call. Hope this helps a bit...................POP
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 10:36:06 PM »

I always liked the Bert Jones 27 63 cam in a mild grey .....FC427....

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: