FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 28, 2024, 04:28:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Making it to Orange  (Read 20908 times)
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2010, 07:31:37 AM »

Now they're some "before" and "after" photos, aren't they?

Glad to see you're all mobile again, Dave. See you in Orange Grin

RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
ridgey_didge
act-club

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2010, 01:46:43 PM »

Who resprayed the engine? Was that you or part of the engine rebuild?

The actual engine repaint was part of the rebuild.  What you see coming out of the back of the ute was done.  One of my helper elves went away with "spray can finger" from painting my other bits and pieces.

Now they're some "before" and "after" photos, aren't they?

Before: I was ashamed of my engine bay.  At displays I had to keep the bonnet down and the car locked to hide my shame.  Small children laughed and pointed - you know what I mean

After:  This is no show stopper, but I am amazed at what came out from under the black stuff.  Let's call it an antiqued presentation.  I can show my face in public again.

It is odd.  I have had the car since 1979 and it now has a grey motor that is actually grey in colour for the first time in my ownership.  Gone are my gold and blue engined days.

Now I have stopped being worried about the exercise I can appreciate how much fun it all was!

Cheers
David

colt
act-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2010, 05:42:26 PM »

Good one David. You know who you have to go see don't you? So no-one gets confused, the ehgine was built and painted by our local Holden guru. I'm surprised he even let us take the motor out and then put it back in. He wasn't going to let us put it in an unpainted engine bay. Thanks to GP and others on the day.

BTW, who's got their greasy mitts on the engine? Geez, he'll go crook if he saw that.

Colin.

colt
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2010, 06:36:26 PM »

Good to see Humpty back together again David, & a lot cleaner too, should get along a bit quicker now
GOA350
vic-club

FE's are great when they've got a V8

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2010, 09:17:04 AM »

Great stuff,
 I just love seeing how much activity there is on this forum around now, with the Nationals just around the corner. The best thing that comes out of all of this is that our cars get a once over before the Nationals which prevents any major disasters or them getting so run down that they are not worth fixing.
 Keep up the good work you guys, and keep that passion, enthusiasm and comraderie flowing. It doesn't just help the person you are helping, it also helps those of us that are on the forum. Wink
 Cheers Scotty
ridgey_didge
act-club

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2010, 04:57:52 PM »

Just back from the first drive on the new motor - very nice!

A water leak from a cracked heater hose connector identified and sorted.

Now just some routine things like a leaking brake cylinder and putting the handbrake in the right way so it works to get  ready for the Nats.  (And a few tidy up jobs in the engine bay, and in the interior, and the exterior - you know how it is -there's always something).

And some more driving would seem to be in order.

Cheers
David

ridgey_didge
act-club

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2010, 09:40:18 AM »

The mechanic has the car today to sort out brakes - a leaking cylinder, and to put the hand brake ratchet in the right way around (after his apprentice put it back in upside down last time.)  Hopefully that sorts out the last mechanical things.  He'll also sign off on the papers for the RTA so that the new engine number is official in case a picky police officer gets too interested in such matters going to or from th Nats.

The engine is running beautifully and I couldn't be happier.  I had a nice run to Wheels Day yesterday and will do some more running in this week when I can.

I'll do few cosmetic things over the next week and a half including more cutting polish on rough places in the engine bay.

Roll on Orange!!

See you there
David

EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2010, 11:23:05 AM »

Good to see that you got it all sorted and that you will make it to Orange in your car

Keith

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
ridgey_didge
act-club

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2010, 05:13:57 PM »

Brakes are done, Motor Registry sorted for new engine number and then .... stalls on Northbourne Avenue - that is about the busiest place you could choose in peak hour - and won't start.  It looks like there was too much oil in the air filter and it has got oil in the carbie and flooded.  Cleaned up, started up, back to the office to finish off a couple of things, and hopefully I'll make it home (after peak hour) without further issues.

This is called teething problems isn't it?

At least in a convoy going to Orange there will be someone to push me to the side of the road!!

Cheers
David

RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2010, 12:25:08 AM »

If ya need to be pushed to the side of the road ya weren't going fast enough when ya broke it.  Grin

Great news, Dave. See you next week!

RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: