FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 07, 2024, 03:42:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Engine front mounting plate  (Read 4650 times)
maroon-fc

View Profile
« on: December 21, 2009, 10:21:05 PM »

Hi guys, just was wanting to know some info on the engine front mounting plate. Was the mount section facing the rear for any models? Seems the engine I am having rebuilt has the mount section facing the rear, yet the ones in my cars all face to the front. The engine is originally out of an FC, but the guy I bought it from said he had it in a FX. If anyone can shed some light on this it would be muchly appreciated.

Cheers FC Mikey

Wild thing....you make my heart sing,
you make everything groovy,
C'mon c'mon wild thing.
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 10:24:35 PM »

FJ and FX had a different mount have seen a piece of 1/4" flat steel used to adapt the early style in to FE FC ....FC427......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
maroon-fc

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 11:02:10 PM »

Thanks Mark, just my luck... I'm on fire...was bringing home the motor tomorrow, but this has thrown a spanner in the works with 3days till chrissy.

FC Mikey

C'mon c'mon wild thing.
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 10:44:34 AM »

Bummer, to do it properly the cam will have to come out so the later FE FC plate can be put on.

Ken
maroon-fc

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 11:09:56 AM »

G'day Ken, no present for the FC at Xmas. The build has come to an abrupt halt. It has been a bit of an anti-climax, seeing how long the mechanic has had the motor, and then told it will be ready tonight, only to discover this is the wrong plate. As you said the cam would need to be removed to replace the plate, so I have told him to stop till I can source the right one.

Mark did mention adapting this plate to suit. Any thoughts on the pros and cons of doing this or should I just get the correct plate? Any help is appreciated.

Cheers FC Mikey

C'mon c'mon wild thing.
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 12:05:54 PM »

There's no problem doing it that way - Obviously it lifts the front of the engine a quarter inch, but this won't do much harm. (slight extra loading on the front universal) I think if you have the engine out, I would get the right plate. No one may ever notice that it is wrong, but you'll always know.

Ken
earlyholdenfan

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 02:18:35 PM »

Hi Ken,
is the engine mount the same on a "J" series block, if so I can shoot one through for you FC Mickey, as I am about to strip a dead block

Matt
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 03:41:14 PM »

I had a look in the parts book and the EJ plate has a different number to the FE FC FB plate. The EK plate also has a different number.  I'm not sure what the difference in the EK or the EJ plate is though. It may be something simple - I'm almost 100% sure that all the greys after FJ had the plate with the mount facing forwards though. As long as you checked the plate is similar to the one you are taking off - ie that all oil holes are clear, then it should be OK.

Ken
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 05:53:36 PM »

If I recall correctly the EJ had a larger stud in the engine mount than the previous models. If I am correct, then this should mean that the only difference would be the holes in the plate where it bolts to the engine mount. Anyone else with the same thoughts?

Keith

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 06:19:41 PM »

It does ring a bell - I know the studs in the outrigger got bigger around EK or EJ but wasn't sure about the bolts into the plate.

Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: