FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 21, 2024, 06:46:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Price estimate on getting a barnfresh vehicle roadworthy  (Read 5113 times)
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« on: May 19, 2009, 06:58:38 PM »

This is a question asked on behalf of a prospective member. I had a phone call yesterday from a fellow who has an FC panel van that has been stored for around 10-15 years, and he is looking to get it roadworthy and registered.

Here's what I've been told:

* The vehicle is rust-free and presentable (the exterior is in good - possibly already resprayed - condition)
* The interior is in good condition
* It has not been driven or started since being stored.
* The engine-bay requires repainting
* The car is in Sydney

The guy is looking to have a professional get the car running, and expects that it will need at minimum all hydraulics replaced, and new brakes/clutch. Presumably rubber and gaskets will need close attention.

So the question is: would anyone be willing to suggest a ball-park figure for what a shop would charge for this sort of work? Secondly, would anyone recommend a shop to do this work?

All assistance gratefully accepted.

cheers
RET (on behalf of the owner)

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
FB_MAD

I can't think what to write here so this will do.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 07:30:39 PM »

Can help with some of the questions.

Be aware these prices are BALL PARK figures and are an approximation only and based on "if needed basis" and prices the parts suppliers are charging.

Clutch kit $240
Spigot bush new $20
Machine flywheel $80
Clutch slave cylinder new $150
Brake wheel cylinder assembly new $120 each x 4.
Brake linings reco exchange $60 per wheel x 4.
Light skim machine brake drums $30 each ??
Wheel bearing grease $20
Front wheel bearing kit $80
Rear shackle rubbers new $40
Brake fluid $15.
New brake and/or clutch master cylinders $160 each.
New fuel pump kit $160 including vacuum pump kit.
New carby kit $50.

Full engine gasket kit $150
Water pump new $140
Plugs,points,cap,rotor,condenser $100
Engine oil,gearbox/diff oil $60

I've been out of the mechanical trade for over 20 years now so have no idea what they now charge for labour as I do all my own mechanical work at home.

Other blokes might be able to help out with current labour charges.

Once parts are procured the job would take some days to a week to finish especially if the owner wants the engine pulled out,dismantled and resealed and regasketed.Engine bay respray would be done with engine out.Clutch done with engine out.

Takes a couple of hours to pull out an engine/gearbox depending on what problems are encounterd.Usually takes a little longer to reinstall.

Add the above figures up,add approx labour charges and add about %50 more for other unanticipated required parts and/or extra labour charges.

Some parts are better replaced with new rather than attempt to reco/rekit when available especially if you are paying someone by the hour.

I may have missed some things and some of the prices won't be absolutely right but this is a start I guess.

Other blokes might be able to add some other ideas.

Hope this bit helps.

Has anybody seen my red pen??
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 08:05:54 PM »

Most workshops charge between $55 and $85 per hour for mech repairs ..... to prep and spray engine bay in Acrylic including  front panel .....around $500  I would think ......FC427......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 09:13:08 PM »

I would think a new radiator would be a possibility $200-$300.
Cheers,
Graham
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 09:16:31 PM »

And may need a new set of brakelines bent up if they are rusty also......FC427......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
CraigA
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 09:20:33 PM »

RET, tell him to talk to my brother. There's a few guys who have used his services who will vouch for his work and prices.

He will do the paint work and any repairs, behind him is a mechanic (Mick) who knows FE/FC's as he did his apprenticeship fixing them. Both old car friendly, both reasonable prices.

Tow in drive out service  Grin

9623 7936
http://www.hgsmash.com.au

mc54

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 07:22:43 PM »

RET

If you want I can email you an spreadsheet of my costs of getting my car on the road.
Much the same story. Sat for a long time.
The prices are fairly recent.

Mike
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 08:19:51 AM »

pick a figure which you think it will be... then double it.

simple?

in the shed
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: