FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 22, 2024, 04:06:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Lock Plates?  (Read 3606 times)
mc54

View Profile
« on: April 18, 2009, 10:30:16 AM »

Just installing the flywheel and according to the manual I should use new lock plates.
What lock plates. There were none when I took the flywheel off.
Am I missing something?
Also since there were no lock washers or anything, what keeps the flywheel bolts from loosening off?

Mike
Rod

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 10:41:54 AM »

There are two plates. Each one goes across two holes. Once the bolts are installed they have a tab that you fold up to stop the bolt rotating- hence their name.

If yours didn't have them I am unsure if returning them and torquing them up will stop them coming loose.I a sure others will have some thoughts on this. Personally I would hate to put the fly wheel back on for it to come loose down the track. I would suggest locating some plates.

Cheers

Rod
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 03:16:09 PM »

FC was the last model to use lock plates. After that the bolts were simply tightened to 30-35 ft-lbs and that's it. There is no lock washer. This is the same right through red motor as well.

Ken
mc54

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 04:04:31 PM »

Thanks

I guess because I have an FB motor in mine that would explain no lock plates

Mike
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 03:53:19 PM »

I have always used lock plates (and Loctite too for that matter) since racing the grey motor cars. I found that the flywheels would sometimes come loose during a race meeting. On one particular engine we redrillled the crank flange and fitted helicoils and larger bolts in an effort to stop the flywheel from coming loose. This cured the problem.
The engines regularly were revved to 6,000rpm which may have been a contributing factor.

Keith

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
mc54

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 06:45:00 PM »

Too late. Transmission went in last week. Used threadlock so should be OK.
Just out of curiosity, if the pressure plate bolts loosen off I guess the clutch will slip, if the flywheel bolts come off, well, I can pretty much figure what will happen, but if the flywheel bolts only become loose, what are the symptoms? Bad vibration, shudder on take off?

Regards
Mike
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 07:33:15 PM »

If the flywheel comes loose there wil be an engine knock at the back of the motor. Once you hear it once then it becomes unmistakable

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
mc54

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 10:11:23 AM »

Lets just hope thats one noise I never hear.

Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: