FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
October 06, 2024, 05:20:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Distributor  (Read 1782 times)
mc54

View Profile
« on: January 25, 2009, 11:07:41 AM »

Hi All,

This may or may not be related to my overheating problem but I'm not sure what to do next. I have tried everything in the manual to get the timing mark to line up.

Here's what I have.

When the rotor is lined up to #1 plug lead the lever rubbing block is not on the high point of the cam.
Is this right?

When the points finally open all the way the rotor is past the lead.

If this is not the way it should be, what is wrong. Can the distributor be taken apart and repositioned?
Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to start taking things apart that I don't have to.

Thanks

Mike

FX1975
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 11:43:53 AM »

G'day Mike,
     Do You have a timing light, and if so have you tried it?.  Another problem could be a vacuum leak, ensure all your pipes are tight.  The points gap should be between .012 & .016in the engine should be running at 480-520rpm for correct setting with a timing light. 
        To align the distributor have the ball on the flywheel lined up with the mark in the cover ensuring no.1 cylinder is on compression then insert the distributor into the block. You will find it will pick up the worm on the cam and end up past or before where you want it to be so you will have to take it back out and reinsert it turning it back or forward a tooth so it will end up where you need it to be when in position, which is with the points about to open for no.1. If it won't go right down you may have to turn the oil pump a little to let the drive tongue into the slot, with the distributor out insert a large flat blade screwdriver and turn in the direction you need and reinsert the distributor.  The points should only just be starting to open on no1 turn the distributor a little if necessary and ensure both the hold down bolt and clamp screw are tight.  If this is right the motor should start and you can complete timing as above with a timing light.

Hope this helps
                                     Frank
mc54

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 02:40:30 PM »

Thanks Frank

Went down and did it all again and this time when I put the timing light on, the mark was lining up.

Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: