FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 05, 2024, 06:01:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Mismatch plate & chassis number/Vehicle History Report  (Read 5101 times)
FEFCVanMan

Model: FE

View Profile
« on: January 22, 2009, 08:24:11 PM »

Does anybody know where you can search a vehicles history. I have a FE/FC panelvan where the chassis number claims its a FE but the identification plate is for a FC. I have a modification label on it from Department of Road Transport SA from 1990 on it. Is there a way of trying to link all this information together to find out the history and y the plate and chassis number doesnt match.
Any leads or help would be greatly appreciated....

Cheers

FCVanman somewhat confused!!!
Johns

Model: something else...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 09:21:57 PM »

Through the authorities, almost certainly not, even if privacy laws allowed it.

There are two options, the most obvious is that it is an FC which has received an FE subframe. Generally you could assume a changed subframe and believe the body plate but not always.

The other is that the body plate has been changed. Should read FC 2104 xxxx A. All van bodies were made in Adelaide. Are the colour and trim codes correct for an FC? If you can find some of the original paint colour this will help enormously.  Put the the details into the decoder under the Technical Info section of this site and check.

I guess from what you say the van has been modified, it then becomes a matter of trying to figure out what it was. Does it have a grey, if so what is the engine number?  is the dash FE or FC, ie is the radio grille horizontal (FE) or vertical (FC), does it have the black hood around the speedo and black escutcheon plates around the switches? If it has the original steering wheel is the horn ring full circle (FE) or half circle (FC). And there are others but these are the easiest.

Hope this helps

John

Now that I've got the beige with the grey, I'm looking for the cream, the bone, the ivory and the off white
FB_MAD

I can't think what to write here so this will do.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 09:40:33 PM »

A forum member on here called Reddo had a kind of similar problem here in NSW a while back.

This is the story ( from memory ),

Bought an FE van but it had an FC subframe.

Went to get it registered with the NSW RTA.

Had all sorts of problems with the monosyllabilic automaton at the RTA counter trying to get the technicalities of rego numbers sorted out.

From memory he ended up with a 1957 FC Holden panelvan after hours of frustration talking to a robot er... ah.... I mean..... RTA customer service officer. Grin Grin Grin

Has anybody seen my red pen??
FEFCVanMan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 07:47:43 PM »

I have put all the relavant details through the decoder in the Technical Info section. They were as follows Body # FC2104-8307-A Trim # 355-652 Paint # 253-7773 and a number next to the word TOP which i assume is an RPO # 333. The chassis number i have on the van is 795081A. Unfortunately it does not have the original motor in there so matching it with an engine number is impossible..It now contains a red 186. As far as the modification plate is concerned, it is for the HR front end and also the EH rear end which has been stamped on the mod plate..unsure whether the mod plate is also for the rear seat. It has the horizontal radio grill and no hood over the speedo. Unfortunately it doesn't have the original steering wheel as i think it now has a Gemini steering rack.
So from this information it would sound as though i have a van made of bits and pieces. The front clip and dash tells me its an FE but the ID plate is telling me its an FC. This should make it interesting when i finally get it on the road and get it registered. Sounds like i might be registering a 1957 FC Holden Panelvan like Reddo.
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 09:10:14 PM »

Looks like a previous owner woke up to how good the FE's are and changed from the FC styling  Tongue
It may be possible to provide your details to Dept of Rego to pass on to previous owners to contact you, worth a phone to find out.

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 09:27:40 PM »

Does the ID plate have the original rivets with a little smear of deadener wiped in them or is it held on with pop rivets?
This is a good sign of whether the plate has been changed.

Ken
FEFCVanMan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 04:54:39 PM »

It looks like the original plate...it has the two rivets either side with the deadner smeared in the middle of the rivets. FC body with an FE front clip and interior it would seem. Dont like my chances of getting in contact with dept of rego fellas...with all this privacy stuff they go on about these days im sure they wouldnt want anything to do with it, but like you suggest it might be worth a try.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: