FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 30, 2024, 04:16:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: How to repair plastic bumpers?  (Read 2276 times)
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« on: December 03, 2008, 12:41:10 PM »

Hi guys,

I'm wondering if anybody could share some useful info on how to repair modern plastic bumpers.

the Hugs and Kisses has managed to accrue lots of parking dents (depsite parking sensors), key scratches and shopping car dents.

In a nutshell, the 12 month old car is looking very second hand.

I've got the paint colour etc 2K COB.

But what special primers do I use for painted bumpers?  in addition what is the best "filler" to use on plastic to fillup scratches etc.

Any advice much appreciated... I have a little bit of experience with 2K paints, and body repairs.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 03:19:04 PM »

anybody??

I guess asking this here was bound for a dull response... after all FE/FCs are real steel.

Anyway i found some single pack plastic primer during my shed cleanout.. will try it under the 2K.  Have been using 1K etch under 2K for years with no issues.

I did notice how crap modern cars are put together.. all plastic rivets holding on plastic bumpers, I cant see how these cars would last more than a decade before falling apart naturally... maybe it's all part of a greater sustainability program...

Ed

in the shed
REDMR2RED
vic-club

Model: FC

FC Ute's d'best

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 06:39:11 PM »

I'll give it a go ......... but I'm no expert.

Modern plastic bumpers are molded and have an inbuilt memory.  I got a dent (which left a pronounced crease) in my other car (Toyota) and a panel beater mate advised me to put it out in the sun on a really hot day and leave it out all day.  99% of the dent came out by itself.  If the dent is concaved (past the point of returning by itself) then it will need encouraging to return it to what shape it was then follow the above.  With a grin on his face he then told me that he would charge the customer for his time and skill level for doing it.   Wink

To get the last little bit out, use a hair dryer, (not a hot air gun) but be real carefull not to heat it hotter than you can put your hand on it for some time.

Anyway mine worked a treat and with a cut and polish you would never know there was a dent there.

Red

1959 FC Holden Ute
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 08:00:49 AM »

Hi Red,

Interesting story.  I tried the sun trick but to no avail. Next I was going to get some dry ice from work to try and shrink the dent as well.  Problem is the dent is on an edge and pushes up more than a concave dent.

I may try heating it with a gun and pushing it down? (gently as you said).  The paint was scraped off anyway by the other careless parker.

Thanks for your reply

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: