FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 29, 2024, 03:19:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: rares boot rubber  (Read 7753 times)
greyone

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: November 18, 2008, 07:59:51 PM »

I had a look at 2 cars in ballarat on sunday both had rares boot rubbers 1put in 1way the other reversed now I have no idea which way it goes
regards mal
graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 11:24:17 PM »

Hi Mal,
The main curve of the rubber faces in towards the boot area. This also causes a small gutter around the outside of the rubber for the water to flow around the cargo area when the boot is opened and you get water run off.
Cheers,
Graham
Johns

Model: something else...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 07:32:08 AM »

Theoretically. As far as I can see all the opening rubbers panel on FE/FCs are cunningly designed to flow water inwards, ably assisted in FEs by the sheer genius of the scuff plate design.

I don't think it matters which way you put the rubber in Graham because

1. it won't fit properly anyway (no criticism of Rares here I'm refering to the original ones), how may sedans have you seen without that little black tongue around the boot? and
2. It will leak whatever you do.

Cheers
John Grin Grin

Now that I've got the beige with the grey, I'm looking for the cream, the bone, the ivory and the off white
FCOV6

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 01:45:56 PM »

Yes i have never found any RS rubbers that fit properly but what can you do .
smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 02:39:28 PM »

if you can get hold of one the "scotts auto" boot seal is a much lower profile and a far better fit than the rares one, which are identical to their door rubbers, in profile. just cut to a different length.

i may be getting older, but i refuse to grow up!
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 03:11:40 PM »

The Spectrum rubber is a better fit than the Rares as well [02 96235333 ] but like stated before they all leak a bit if you hose the boot gap .......FC427......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
greyone

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 05:04:51 PM »

thanks for the feedback I,ll give scotts a go then spectrum certainly looks like the profile on the rs sits to high regardless of which way you put it in
regards mal
CraigA
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 06:04:16 PM »

never found any RS rubbers that fit properly but what can you do .

Conversely I've seen a lot of poorly fitted Rares rubbers....................

I put a NOS stock one in mine recently and the profile of the Rares one I removed was very similar, however the Rares rubber compound was much harder than factory. This makes it hard to close the boot. The NOS one closes easily.

If the rubber leaks then lift it and run a bead of Sikaflex underneath, then reseat the rubber and close the boot lid. Should fix the problem. Or check the alignment of the channel - you can adjust it upwards with a mallet and piece of wood.

weddo
tas-club

HIS, HER's & OUR's

billnjudiwedd@gmail.com
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 12:40:42 PM »

I fitted a RS boot rubber a couple of years ago, lubicated it with a rubber conditioner, closed the boot for two weeks and let the rubber settle into place and have had no problems since.

regards
Weddo
FX1975
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2008, 01:05:24 PM »

Using the rares rubber you need to stretch it as you go while installing it then lubricate with rubber magic or similar and keep the boot shut for a couple of weeks for the rubber to settle in
                hope this helps
                          Frank
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: