FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 22, 2024, 09:25:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Sun visor  (Read 10081 times)
FE_UTE
wa-club

Model: FE and FC

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« on: March 22, 2006, 10:57:58 AM »

I have taken the sunvisor off my ute to have the windscreen rubber replaced and there was no seal or gasket
I am about to put it back on and need to know whats the go

Cheers Gary  

graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 11:58:08 AM »

Hi Gary,
I don't know that they came with any gaskets but I made 1 for the centre bracket flat section with the single screw.Where the 2 screws are I put a calking compound so when you screw it down tight the excess squeezes out and magic you have a sort of gasket. Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Graham
FE_UTE
wa-club

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 08:51:19 AM »

Thanks Graham...will give that a go. I dont think they had any gaskets but the screws seem to loosen with the wind pressure. I reken the old ute will get a few bucketings during the trip over and back and I dont want to get any water in through the top

Cheers
Gary  

4hammers
tas-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 01:18:03 PM »

Hi Gary.
yes, they did have gaskets. One wasshaped like a little shield for the top bit & the other is shaped like a kind of dog bone. The were quite supple, so I assume that this helped them stop rattling loose. The also had these really odd little captive nuts (Not really even a nut, actually), that had machine screws, so they also stopped the vibratios rattling them loose. I sold my NOS set, complete with the visor when I sold my ute. If you like, I can try & contact the buyer & see if he can post some photos. He may even be watching... Shocked

Regards,
Rob J

WTB..FE FC Commercial...Stock plz
FE_UTE
wa-club

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2006, 01:31:53 PM »

Thanks Rob..
Yep I would like a copy or photo
Any idea what material were they made from??

Cheers
gary

4hammers
tas-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2006, 01:37:33 PM »

Hi Gary.
I have just email the guy & hope to hear from him soon. They are a softish rubber, but have a little ridge running around the edge, that assists them to sit right where you want them too. I have actually used innertube material in the past, as a door handle & sunvisor gasket material. I won't tell you how I spent about a week cutting out a full set of door handle gaskets for my first FC resto, only to find they were available from rare spares for around $18 at the time. They didn't have them on their list back then! :-/ Embarrassed

Rob J

WTB..FE FC Commercial...Stock plz
FE_UTE
wa-club

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2006, 02:56:07 AM »

Thanks Rob..all sorted. Revieved an email with pics

Cheers Gary

nicko
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2006, 03:02:41 AM »

gday, i have the old roof from my panel van and im sure it still has factory captive nuts in it,but to install you would need to take roof lining out ,i can cut that section out for you and post it for free ,just say the word and they are yours.i also have the old centre arm for visor that bolts to roof if anyone wants it as i have no need for it.
cheers Nick

Papa Smurf

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2006, 08:07:18 AM »

The small 'captive nuts' are still available & called 'nutserts' & very similar to a pop rivet in the sense you drill a hole, insert the 'nutsert' & pull it up with special gun, they're available in size from 3mm internal thread

Cheers  blue ute
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2006, 11:45:13 AM »

The factory captive nuts can be installed without removing the headlining.  They are installed through a special shaped hole and then given a half turn to lock them in place.

Ken

Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2006, 10:08:27 PM »

I noticed on Geoff K's FE sunvisor there was a metal backing plate that slipped into the panel above the windscreen and helped hold the bolt from underneath??

still contemplating a visor but I can't see a captive nut with a small surface area holding the visor very well at any decent speed without damaging the metal.

or is it accepted that sun visors cause minor damage to the roof??

any feedback from visor owners appreciated.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
FE_UTE
wa-club

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2006, 07:05:49 AM »

Ed

The sunvior has been on my ute from new. I have had the three screws come slightly loose on rare occasions.
This seems to be from the buffeting at higher speeds, mainly freeway and country road driving.
There has been no damage to the roof metal at all, however at the higher speeds the middle support tends to start bending down.
If you start noticing FE/FC sunvisors they appear to drop in the centre as they get older or do more miles.
When I got my ute it had done 52,000 miles and the sunvisor had not dropped any in the centre. It also had not been driven over 50mph
The visor also start to cop a buffeting when the speed is over 55-60 mph, so if your planning on doing some high speed cruzing, it may be better without a visor

Cheers
Gary

craiga
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2006, 07:21:06 AM »

Ed,

My sedan's visor is screwed to the roof using a countersunk head self tapper. It was like this when I got the car 21 years ago.

When I refurbished the car I used the same screw but replaced the original gasket with Sikaflex. This enhances the grip the visor bracket has to the roof, and my car has seen 80 MPH without a sunvisor problem.

Cheers,

Craig.
surferboy
wa-club
Guru

10,000 POINTS !

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 10:47:08 PM »

dumb question time

I managed to get my visor off
the two front screws came out easily and the nuts stayed in their holes
but the rear one just kept turning and going nowhere, the bracket seemed to be silasticed on to seal it up,so i put a bit of pressure on it and the funny little nut ( looks a bit like a filed down wingnut ? ) came out of the hole ( a round one with filed square bits ) with the bolt

QUESTION  did i do it some damage and will it go back in or am i going to drop it inside the roof lining where it will roll around forever. I cant see how it has any way of locking into place as per instruction 5 in the nasco instruction page Huh

i do a lot of high speed driving and have never had a problem with vibration or looseness etc, i am kind of scared of using self tapping screws so do i need to visit a nut and bolt shop for an alternative ?

Cool Cool Cool

cruisin's great with a 58
Papa Smurf

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2008, 10:39:21 AM »

You could use what they call a 'nutsert' from Searles in High Rd Willetton (behind Bunnings) they also hire the special tool - check this site it will explain with pictures http://www2.blackwoods.com.au/infoBANKProduct.aspx?SG=2000165&S=16&G=2003586&P=2025020
Johns

Model: something else...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2008, 02:39:45 PM »

Lizard, they look great, but what do you do with the remaining 997 (minimum) of them? I guess we could just find another 332 owners with sunvisors Grin

regards
John

Now that I've got the beige with the grey, I'm looking for the cream, the bone, the ivory and the off white
Papa Smurf

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2008, 09:46:01 PM »

The link was just to show what they look like but you can buy then as single item not as a pack item - well you can here at Searles in Perth (they only sell nuts, bolts & screws)
surferboy
wa-club
Guru

10,000 POINTS !

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2008, 11:12:37 PM »

Thanks Lizard

Went to Searles as you suggested
Found that a 1/4'' nutsert did the job, a nice snug fit into the existing hole in the roof. We tried metric sizes first but couldnt find a siutable fit.One nut and one screw was all i needed (I found the two front screws are different again to any described here ?) They also very kindly fitted it for me.
Total cost  $2.00  so I gave them $5 because I mucked them around for ages trying to figure what the best solution was
Just got back from the drive to the Nats. 8,300 km, often over 100kph,buffeted by dozens of semis without a problem  Grin
I did the old innertube gasket thing to protect the paint but it didn't work and came loose at the back as the bracket doesn't follow the roofline exactly.
Will take it apart to make sure it is weatherproofed properly and will post picks before i cover everything in sealer

Cool Cool Cool

PS Les lost his visor when passed by a truck, was self tappered on
     and I think (?) Garys was self tappered when he lost his at Philip Island

cruisin's great with a 58
Papa Smurf

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2008, 09:38:46 PM »

surferboy what I did was got some neoprene rubber from Clarke rubber & used that for a gasket, for memory was 2mm thick 50mm wide easy to cut & also you can drill (battery drill) the screw holes unlike inner tube rubber.
Yeah I find Searles to be really good to deal with too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: