FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 30, 2024, 10:48:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: steering column to suit commodore rack  (Read 3142 times)
ROAD KING COL

View Profile
« on: March 19, 2008, 11:21:26 AM »

I have put a commodore rack at the rear of my sub frame, however I am finding it a problem to find the correct length steering column to suit, the commodore column I have appears to be to short. I have also tried a torana column without success.
Jordo
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 09:25:47 PM »

I have the same rack and have used the original column cut off at the floor.
I purchased the bush that fits into the bottom of the column to support the steering shaft and the lower half of steering shaft (That fits to rack) from the Castlemaine Rod Shop who also added an extra length of steering rod (about 10 to 12 inches) that was drilled into the commodore shaft about 3 inches, pinned twice and welded together. They supplied written instructions on how to secure the base of the column and how to make up the shaft extension which I had them do for me.

I found this to be the easiest way as there is no change to the wiring and you can adjust the column
height to suit you best     
ROAD KING COL

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 07:18:04 AM »

Thanks for the info, will give it a go  Smiley
FC229

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 09:01:26 PM »

HI Road King,

depending where you are, you might need to talk to your engineer before welding anything to do with your steering, I think it can give you problems getting rego in NSW. I think the problem is that welded items can lead to brittle failure, meaning you get no warning of iminent problems, it just gives way. Despite the fact that the connection is also pinned, I think they may knock it back......could be wrong there but worth a phone call. '
I have a VH column on my car, it is short but I like it, feels more like driving a hot rod. I had it modified so that the original indicator mechanism fits, plus a wooden wheel, so it does not look too modern for the car. Where abouts are you? If you're around Sydney you check mine out for feel if you want to.
ROAD KING COL

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 05:52:19 PM »

Hi FC229
You are correct in the assumption that welding willl affect the steering column. However if you follow correct welding techniques and know what kind of metal you are welding there should be no problem. In my past life I used to be a Boilermaker with all the pressure welding certificates. So would have no probs with the engineer, but I am looking at other alternatives at present. My mate is in the hot rod club and gave me some info on some real nice columns from the states.  Have you checked out my FC,  put a V6 in over the Easter. While I have had it off the road decided to put commodore rack and pinion, hence the steering column Thanks for your input.
Col
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: