FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 23, 2024, 11:26:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Steering Troubles  (Read 2901 times)
perth_fe_ute

View Profile
« on: November 05, 2007, 11:31:27 AM »

Hello All,

Thanks for the help so far. Next on my list is the steering and front mounts. I have been driving to and from the garage last weekend on a 48 hour police license as it has not passed the license inspection. I found the steering to be very poor and the car to drift over the road. It has had a hr front end fitted but guess the alignment has not been touched for the last 10 years along with the ball joints etc. Where do I start? can I do it myself? suggested mechanics or shops in Perth, WA?

David.
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 12:08:06 PM »

It could be any number of things from previous posts on the site, start at the tyres, wheels, then the ball joints, bearings, steering arms, steering gear then steering column.
It could be any one or a combination of some or all.

FC427
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 12:24:30 PM »

The guy doing the inspection will be able to tell you if any of the front end bits are worn or faulty, after all that  is what an Authorised Inspection Station  is being payed for to tell you if your car is road worthy and what needs replacing to make it road worthy and then you have narrowed it down to just a few things  FC427

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 06:55:18 PM »

if you jack it up and woble the wheels holding the top and bottom is there movement?
if you grab the front and back of the tyre and woble it does it have play?
if it has play does the stub axle look to be moving with the play or staying still?
put the car down of the jack then and see how much play is in the steering wheel when you turn it left and right.
find these things out and someone here could probably tell you what parts need to be replaced or adjusted, most parts arent dear unless you rebuild the whole front end and steering box at once.

also is the car higher or lower than standard?
has it got radial tyres all round?

remember the steering in these will feel different to a 2007 commodore but with the age of them wear is common and a few new bits will change how it steers.

NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 06:57:56 PM »

FC427 is right, the inspection guys should be able to stick it up on a 2 poster or trolley jack and pick it with a quick grab of the wheel and tell you exactly what parts you need to change.

fastjbav6
wa-club

OK start her up !

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 08:21:17 PM »

Hey David,
G-Mac in McCoy St Myaree does good steering and suspension work.

Seb

Yellow Knight

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: