FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 29, 2024, 12:48:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Red 202 Ignition Timing  (Read 11322 times)
perth_fe_ute

View Profile
« on: October 31, 2007, 10:39:55 PM »

Need help to get my 202 running again...

I have been busy fixing oil leaks for license and registration. I changed the oil pump gasket to the block and also the distributer, the problem is getting it going again. I have lined up the TDC to the dissy with about 5 deg advanced and the engine starts but very rough. Does not run enough to use a timming light to check the timming Huh. Next is the oil pump. Do you need to prime the pump on a red 202. If so any ideas? Huh

David.
craiga
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 09:06:36 AM »

Pack the oil pump full of vaso before installation.

The dizzy is possibly out by 180 degrees. Find TDC but make sure its on the compression stroke by taking the No1 plug out and turning the motor over by hand with your or a helpers finger in the plug hole - might be easier with all plugs out. You'll hear the air escaping as the piston rises on compression stroke. Watch the balancer and line the mark up with 5 degrees. Put the dizzy in and line up the start of the rotor (leading on clockwise side) with the small mark on the upper body of the dizzy. Drop the dizzy into position and if its a points dizzy rotate it so that the points just open. If you do this with the ignition on you'll see/hear the right spot. Timing done.
mikey

Werribee

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 10:15:47 AM »

Filling up the pump cavity with grease is a good trick that I had to do one time.
I had rebuilt my red motor and on first start had no oil pressure, filling the oil filter with oil and then trying to screw it on real quick didn't work.

Took the cover off and filled it up with grease after that the pump picked up very quick and problems were all over.

All rebuilds since I have done the same, works well.

As for the timing it has been covered well, just be real careful about fingers in holes with moving parts  Shocked, maybe use something like a straw or a bit of wire.

Cheers   Michael

Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail us now!
perth_fe_ute

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 06:10:12 PM »

cheers will check the dissy again tonight. do not want to remove the oil pump again its a very tight fit. will try and pour oil down the oil pressure thread and test. In regards to the dissy I changed the leads, cap and rotor. otherwise hope the cap and rotor are correct. but does sounds real rough.
perth_fe_ute

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 10:38:13 AM »

looks like the grease idea is the next step. What type of grease did you use?
craiga
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 10:51:49 AM »

Use Vaso because it will absorb into the oil easily.
mikey

Werribee

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 10:01:31 PM »

Like Craig has said he used vasoline but I used to just use the grease out of the shed, the stuff I would pump into balljoints and in bearings etc. All in all it only worked out to be a couple of tablespoons if that, as much as would pack around the pump gears and that in relation to 4 or 5 liters of engine oil is stuff all.

Really anything "greasy" would work in my opinion as you just want to get some good suction happening right off the bat.

Cheers   Michael

perth_fe_ute

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2007, 12:04:27 PM »

Grin all working ok... firstly prime of the oil pump. I was able to pime the pump by taking the dissy out and pouring oil down there and also buy squirting oil down the oil pressure switch. The oil pressure was good straight away. I know the grease idea would have been the best but I would have the take the ending out again as there is not enough room between the pump and the hr subframe. secondly the dissy... the problem was the rotor from repco was incorrect. I put the old one back on and works great again. Will be taking that rotor arm back to repco on monday.

Thankyou very much for the support.
mikey

Werribee

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2007, 07:48:51 PM »

Well like they say there is more than one way to skin a cat and in the end as long as that cat is skun who cares which method you use. Main thing is that you sorted out the probs and are on the move again.

Cheers  M

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: