FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 09, 2024, 05:24:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FRONT SUBFRAME REMOVAL  (Read 3725 times)
mickusmickus

Model: FC

Brisbane, Queensland

View Profile
« on: June 26, 2007, 01:24:34 AM »

Hi all,

Im sure many of you have done this a number of times so i am chasing some wisdom and advice.  I am currently in the process of removing the front subframe from my car, as far as I know it is completely unbolted I just cant get the bloody thing to come free from the cab.....

In the hour or two I spent trying to roll it off on the weekend I was attempting to roll it off with the front crossmember still attached......am I going about this the wrong way?  Should I be unbolting the front end rolling it out and then removing the subframe.......i assume that the weight of the front end is probably putting a bit of stress on the subframe mounts....hence making it harder to roll off.........

MICK
Just40
qld-club

I cant fix my brakes, so I made my horn LOUDER

just40fe
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 02:24:29 AM »

did you get all the bolts from inside of the cab.

mickusmickus

Brisbane, Queensland

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 02:30:00 AM »

Yes all of the bolts from inside the cab are undone......I can get the subframe to move but just cant get it to totally come away from the cab.......as I said before I am suspecting that the front end is just putting a little pressure on the mounts preventing it from pulling away..........was just wondering what the normal method for removal was......

MICK
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 04:15:36 AM »

If the skirts have freed themselves from the firewall and all 4 bolts are removed from the subframe legs, then it is just the legs stuck in the locating blocks in the crossmember. All you should need to do is get a large screwdriver or tyre lever and pry between the outer leg and the crossmember on both sides and this should force the 2 apart. Should not matter at all that the front suspension is still attached.

Ken
Brad

My FC Van in 1986 and I still have It

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 04:19:13 AM »

MICK
      When I took mine off I had a similar problem but my front end was off the car and the car was on blocks.
     First I GENTLY freed the side skirts from the firewall with a screwdriver and pinch bar (gemmy) then pushed down on the front of the subframe levering it away from the car a bit.
   It was still holding where the outside lower bolts go near the sill so I taped it forward down there with a hammer a little bit on each side then wriggled it up and down while pulling forward.
   When it came off I found there was a lot of dirt and gunk holding it at the bottom in around  the bolts and sill.
   You should be able to roll the whole lot away on the wheels if theres nothing stopping it.
  Brad

Id rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy
mickusmickus

Brisbane, Queensland

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 04:34:52 AM »

Guys,

Thanks for the help.....I have not resorted to getting brutal with screwdrivers or gemmy bars yet, have only been taking things gently gently........will get tough this weekend and get her free using a bit more force........As is quite normal I have been finding 50 years of dirt build up under the subframe and around the mounting bolts so I wont be suprised if that is what is stopping it........

MICK
mickusmickus

Brisbane, Queensland

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 01:37:47 AM »

Thanks for all the help guys.........turns out a little bit of brute force is not always a bad thing.......levered the subframe off with a gemmy bar no problems.....50 years of dirt build up is not always easy to overcome.....

Will post some pics of my progress soon.....

MICK
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: