FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 25, 2024, 04:23:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: removing ignition barrel without key  (Read 3170 times)
FEHOLDEN

like all good things...it will happen eventually.

View Profile
« on: December 05, 2006, 05:27:12 AM »

gidday all

is there any simple way of removing the barrel from the ignition?I dont have a key for it and i am trying to replace it with a barrel for which i do have a key. I know the simple way is to turn ignition to "off"using the key[which i dont have] so how can i do it otherwise?or am i up for a new switch as well?is it possible to ave a locksmith pick the lock to get it back to off?

Denis
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 06:35:33 AM »

I was in the same boat and got lucky with the locating nut(?) unscrewing and fitting over the switch with a bit of force.
Otherwise go the locksmith.

craiga
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 07:34:27 AM »

If you don't want the barrel then I have filed the lock body so that the ring comes off like Col has pointed out.

Cheers,

Craig.

Geoff_K
nsw-club

The 2 BAY s

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 08:21:46 AM »

Hi Denis,

What is more impotant to you:-

The original cylinder/key combination or the lock outer barrel, ring, dash and electrical components.

I have slowly drilled out the cylinder enough to get locking ring off. (once the locking ring is off, the press down spring loaded inner button can be got at, and the cylinder, or whats left of it, turned anti-clockwise past the spring loaded button and the cylinder springs out.  Then all you need to do is to clean out all the filings, and drop in the replacement cylinder.  It is easier to get another barrel and ring.

However, if you think any of the doors/glovebox/boot locks match the ignition lock, remove the doors/glovebox/boot lock cylinder and read the key number stamped on the side, then get a new key made to this code.

Cheers,

Geoff_K
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: