FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 29, 2024, 10:29:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Yesterday at 07:47:18 PM 
Started by KFH - Last post by KFH
Thanks Rob.  I'm to blame, silly me   I have found the problem. Not enough vacuum. The reason is I made a rookies mistake when installing the booster. I fitted a T at the carby in the line that feeds the vacuum advance on the distributor. I should have connected the vacuum line to the inlet manifold where the vacuum wipers were originally connected. The brakes a now operating well with a much lighter pedal. Terry from Hydroboost was happy to check the unit out if needed.

Keith

on: Yesterday at 02:08:40 PM 
Started by RET - Last post by RET
Well, that's the effect, the "nbot" crawler is the cause.

The forum usually runs to about 20GB/month bandwidth. This month it's pushing 60GB.

on: Yesterday at 10:33:02 AM 
Started by KFH - Last post by ardiesse
Keith,

I ran HR discs on the ex-family EK for many years with the booster plumbed into the vacuum port in the middle of the inlet manifold.  Atomised petrol is everywhere inside the inlet manifold - that's its job.

No, I'd suspect that the non-return valve is leaking.

Diaphragms on the VH44s are quite easy to replace - you undo the big clamp, remove the back shell, lift the diaphragm off, put the new one on and reassemble.  Depending on your installation, you may even be able to do the work without disconnecting the hydraulics.

A quick way to determine if the diaphragm is leaking is to start the engine and apply the brakes.  If your diaphragm's leaking, the idle will speed up while the brakes are applied.

Rob

on: Yesterday at 09:58:30 AM 
Started by RET - Last post by ardiesse
. . . that'd be why I've been seeing Error 509 Bandwidth Limit Exceeded from time to time.

I will exercise patience.

Rob

on: May 27, 2024, 09:34:03 PM 
Started by KFH - Last post by KFH
A few years ago I fitted a newly rebuilt VH44 from a southern firm on my 59 Fc with standard brakes.  I have never been happy with the hard pedal on hard braking  but assumed that is normal.  Today I checked the vacuum to the booster - all good. It is plumbed correctly.  Contacted the firm who suggested to drive it with the vacuum clamped off.  I removed the hose and blocked it off.  The braking on a hard stop was softer and a much better pedal feel. They will service it for me if I send it to them.   Is there something I have missed or is the unit faulty?  Just want to be sure that I have not missed anything.

One suggestion the firm made was that the diaphram is most likely faulty. This being caused by the petrol fumes being drawn off the vacuum feed at the base of the carby. To prevent the fume damage I should do like they do on the red motor and draw it from the inlet manifold near number 6 cylinder. Anybody heard about this?

on: May 27, 2024, 08:54:36 PM 
Started by ardiesse - Last post by Maco
Now that is thinking outside the square Gary.

on: May 27, 2024, 08:44:00 PM 
Started by RET - Last post by RET
Hi all,

For reasons unclear, some bot has been absolutely hammering this site all month, consuming vast amounts of bandwidth. It's probably some AI model, I suspect.

I have made some changes to try and deny it access. If you encounter any weirdness with your access to the site, please let me know.

(And yes, I appreciate depending on the weirdness, you might not be able to access the site to let me know.)

Apologies in advance if there are any unforeseen impacts, but the current consumption is absolutely unsustainable.

cheers
RET

on: May 27, 2024, 05:10:02 PM 
Started by ardiesse - Last post by zulu
That's uncanny Rob, I've had similar issues and the repair piece was more or less the same size  Smiley

But no doubt your repair will outlive mine, love your work

on: May 26, 2024, 07:04:47 PM 
Started by ardiesse - Last post by Rod
Rob,

I continue to be inspired by your skills and your repairs. Reminds me when I was a young fella having a "hotted up" XB Falcon. The exhaust leaks made it sound better than what it was. Nothing like some tin moulded to the contour of the pipe, some mufler putty and some hose clamps. The repairs would outlast the rest of the pipe, which would fall apart arount it.

I look forward in following future updates on your current project.

Cheers Rod

on: May 26, 2024, 06:52:39 PM 
Started by Rod - Last post by Rod
Well, well.

I have taken the slave off the box and clutch fork covers off. It is definitely something inside as the first thing I noticed the the minimal gap between the back of the fork and the gear box house. I would say 4mm. This would not allow an inch travel when the cluch is depressed. I had a look inside to the best of my ability and I don't think the folk is bent when comparing it to another I have.

When I replaced the clutch I also replaced the throwout bearing. I have a hunch that this may be the problem as I have a feeling reading about differences in these. Anyway it is only conjecture as I will need to remove the engine to investigate anyway.

Have a ripper. Cheers Rod

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10