FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:20:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: It's raining and my FC leaks!!  (Read 9049 times)
Mutley

View Profile
« on: June 29, 2009, 09:18:22 AM »

I bought a '58 FC wagon a few months ago (when it was blue skies and warm sun ... great driving weather).  Anyway, now it's raining like all hell and my FC leaks like a sieve.  There's heaps of water coming in the back and all, around the door seals.  I don't think the windscreen or rear window is leaking.  The rubbers appear new (they aren't hard or crumbling) but aren't doing the job.

Is there a way to tell if they have been seated correctly (and don't say 'look for leaks').  Can anyone give me some hints/tricks/tips on replacing the weather seals and also a good place to get the right rubbers?  I'm in WA but don't mind buying interstate.

Thanks for your help.

CraigA
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 09:50:53 AM »

The wagon tailgates and doors should all seal without issues if the rubbers are newish, un-damaged and fitted correctly.

Check for panel alignment before you do anything though, the rubbers can't seal if the gaps are too wide.

So the approach would be:

1. Check/adjust panel gaps
2. Check rubber condition
3. Replace any suspect rubbers
4. Refit rubbers as per factory

There are some other tricks, like putting Sikaflex behind the rubbers and then lightly closing the doors. This will make the rubbers sit out a bit further and should help them seal better - but its a balance between seal pressure and the door/tailgate shutting correctly.

Contrary to lots of stuff written up here Rare Spares rubbers do fit quite easily and will seal perfectly. So maybe you need to look at a new rubber kit, especially if you are using it daily. They'll rust very quickly if they are filling up with water.  Sad http://www.rarespares.net.au

If you don't have much experience with this stuff then join your local FE FC club, these blokes will always be willing to assist.

Hope some of the above helps.
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 01:15:11 PM »

The wagon tailgates and doors should all seal without issues if the rubbers are newish, un-damaged and fitted correctly.

surely there is a secret to this?

in the shed
CraigA
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 02:01:05 PM »

The horizontal seal that goes between the upper and lower tailgates should be easy to fit and seal without issue. The rares ones even have the correct moulded ends.

The inner seal should be the same.

Did yours leak Ed? If so, where?

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 09:49:56 PM »

Are you talking about your FE wagon Ed? FE tailgate seals are different to FC and are not as good. If originality is not an issue it is far better to fit FC tailgates to FE wagons for an everyday driver. Not too many FE wagons about anyway I guess Roll Eyes

But I agree with Craig. Old rubbers get compressed and flatten after 50 years so may not seal anymore. Probably better to fit all new seals if you have lots of leaks rather than trying to replace bits here and there.

Ken
Johns

Model: something else...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 08:48:47 AM »

Bugger Angry

When I finished Nev's refurb, he didn't leak. In my relentless quest for authenticity I had to alter the door seals so he leaked properly. Not only that when we fixed the brakes they weren't randomly locking up, so I fiddled with the lines so that any one would lock up without warning, now much happier opposite locking into Hyundai bumpers, bus queues and the odd shopping centre.

Clearly, if the Rares tailgate seal seals properly, it cannot be authentic and is therefore not original. Next thing you'll be telling me is that the Rares repro sending unit works perfectly, just after I modified mine so that it reads half full until the tank is has a cupful of fuel in it and then swings to empty just as the fuel runs out. Took some effort to get this to work I can tell you.

Soon, I supppose they'll make a hotbox flap that doesn't seize up - more problems.

We are going to have to watch the quality of the stuff these guys are selling.

Signed

Confused but authentic, or is it.....?

Now that I've got the beige with the grey, I'm looking for the cream, the bone, the ivory and the off white
NosFEratu
Guru

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 09:43:43 AM »

Grin Grin Grin Grin  Ah the eternal quest for authenticity!  Grin Grin Grin Grin

NosFEratu
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 02:18:05 PM »

Lol.

No it had an EK upper and lower.
I think John must have waved the authenticity wand over it.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
surferboy
wa-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

10,000 POINTS !

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 03:46:17 PM »

G'day Mutley

When you figure out how to stop your 58 wagon from leaking in the rain..
can you come to a club meeting and let me know

Ta
 Cool Cool Cool

come to the meeting anyway

cruisin's great with a 58
cajerridoc
sa-club

WHAT TO DRIVE TODAY?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 11:32:03 PM »

Did ED's wagon leak? Yes it does and not just water. Dust too!! The lower tailgate is certainly not the best fitting one I have seen and there appears to be no adjustment left to close the gap. It is like it has a twist in the tailgate. I have not done anything much with it as I don't want to stuff up the paintwork but it will have to be done sometime.

Robin

The sticker says "I'd rather push my Ford than drive a Holden". I agree, I'd rather they pushed their Ford than drive MY Holdens!
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2009, 12:22:27 PM »

Add more rubber ?
ridgey_didge
act-club

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2009, 12:34:51 PM »

Too much rain is not a problem that I am facing.  Water restrictions are permanently in place and washing cars at home is prohibitted.  Those high pressure hoses at car washes are not what a 50 plus year old car and its rubbers require.  I have a supply of old towels I use to mop up inside the car and the boot.  Make sure the drainage holes are clear also.

Mutley - send some of your rain east if you can - my garden can do with it.

Cheers
David

Not Happy Jan
nsw-club

Aussie adventure

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2009, 06:45:44 PM »

I am also in the process of installing new rubbers all round in an effort to keep the insides dry! The bottom tail gate corners just looks like a perfect catchment point for the spare wheel well!. I have used an aftermarket seal on the top of the tail gate but there is still plenty of room on the outer ends. From my under standing that seal is no longer available??

Question?.... Can an FC wagon be made watertight from rain. Front screen should be ok if done properly. Tell you next week! But rear opening and doors??. From memory my last FC 20 years ago and FC1958's new project was pretty dry.

If it can't keep it dry then  a carpet is just going to be a floor pan demolisher?? Who has carpet and who has vinyl?Huh

You can never have too many!
Port Macquarie NSW
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2009, 07:13:22 PM »

The most common problem area for front door leakage is between the window and the quarter vent. You should seal the gap where the bailey channel goes into the door. Otherwise the doors will seal no problems.
The tailgate area is another issue and can be difficult to keep dry.

Ken
Rusty_T
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2009, 08:53:09 PM »

Angry Angry Angry

Mutley

If you have leaks in your wagon ,then try this. My FE Wagon filled up with water on my way back fropm Mt Gambia. This was due to ill fitting panels (Doors , Guards , Tailgates upper and lower and Front air vent.) My spare wheel well was full and the spare almost foating. All the rubbers were new from Rares, but when I picked the car up from where it was painted, not one of the panels were fitted properly. When I returned from the Mt ,the car was opened up for 4 days dry out and then I set about adjusting all the gaps. The tailgate, I had to remove the lower rubber and place it back in the correct position and the upper tailgate on the inside I put another piece of rubber in the same thickness as the original and that sealed it perfectly. It doesn't leak anymore apart from under the guard where it bolts on. Wrong bolts ,and no hole at the top.

Cheers Rusty
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: