FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 11, 2024, 06:31:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: windscreen  (Read 9697 times)
NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: April 16, 2008, 11:32:59 PM »

were do i buy a windscreen new, i DONT want a tinted band, i can fit it myself, i already have the rubber, i am in seven hills near blacktown, were around here will i get a good price?

Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 07:47:02 AM »

ralph moore can get all types of screens, im sure he can deliver it or arrange delivery.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 08:01:01 AM »

im looking at getting a new one very soon, my question is how much does the tinted band come into the drivers view?
i am still swaying towards a non tinted one but thought i'd ask some who have the tint.
cheers
dean

i may be getting older, but i refuse to grow up!
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 10:45:46 AM »

We did the windscreen thing last year early in November' all you should need to know was posted I don't know how to put a link to it  Huh Huh ......FC427........

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
59fcholden
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 05:17:48 PM »

We did the windscreen thing last year early in November' all you should need to know was posted I don't know how to put a link to it  Huh Huh ......FC427........

this one
http://fefcholden.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,12204.0.html
smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 05:24:57 PM »

thank you, because of my seating pos i will probably go clear.
there is an old guy in Canberra who quoted my $190 supply and fit. ive been told he is the best for older vehicles i think its aussie windscreens or something.

cheers

colt
act-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 05:55:03 PM »

Dean, that's the guy I used. Very good job & no leaks. From memory a similar price to that.
Colin

colt
smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 07:29:04 PM »

thanks colin i was hoping i got the name right.

dean

NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 10:43:13 PM »

ok, i think i have the screen sorted, can anyone tell me what the usual going price is to get a flat side glass cut per window including 1/4 windows in toughened glass.
 i got a price for $80 each plus the cost of having it toughened, is that cheap, normal or high?

FC427
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008, 10:50:45 PM »

I had Laminated tinted windows made for a FC sedan with polished and rounded edges with the Australian standard print on them  4 doors= 8pieces of glass  around $400  Don't know about Toughened......FC427.......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2008, 08:01:14 AM »

Leon,

I bought 2 years ago, new windscreen (fitted), new quarters (x2), new side windows (x4 fitted to rails only) and rear quarters (x2) cost $560. from Ralph Moore.

also has the original style stamps but without the dots.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2008, 10:45:48 AM »

leon, one option is to ring a company called MOEN glass 1300 768 024, its a melbourne based company but when you ring ask for the Canberra factory! they supply glass cut to size and toughen on site to nearly all of the glaziers in canberra and up as far north as newcastle. i used to work for them when my back went out, i was actually going bring in some templates to cut and toughen my own glass during the quiet time over christmas, but the injury and attitude at work stopped me.

if you ring them and get a price mention cash it usually talks louder Wink

what may be the best option is to see if we can coordinate a few others at the same time i'll be in for 4 side windows this could bring the price down, they stock laminates and various styles of clear glass, to supply and cut should only about $30 per piece ( i think) and to toughen not much more. they toughen to aus standards and they are stamped. the only thing they cant do is curved glass.

i have now been told by all my doctors that i wont be returning to this job so im not sure how welcomed i'd be if i asked them to do this, but there are other ways around it.

send me a pm if you want to discuss a game plan.
but the price Ed got doesn't sound too bad

dean

mudgee

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2008, 02:05:40 PM »

G,Day Dean

I,d be interested in this.  PM sent

George

smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2008, 08:28:03 AM »

re side glass how difficult is it or what is the process for putting the window glass back onto the runners?
is there any special adhesive to use, i guess removing the old would be as simple as using a hammer?

cheers
dean

gp

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2008, 09:09:12 AM »

Dean,
For windscreens I've been using Kev from Auto Windscreens (Canberra) 0419214722 for over 20 years. Always very pleased with his work. Bob Harris (Appendix J EH's) also uses Kev.

Cheers,

Graham
Gertie
nsw-club

Grey & White rooles

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2008, 07:52:09 PM »

i have just refitted all my old glass in Gertie. The ogiginal installation had rubber in the steel channels that didn't appear to have been glued in. (probably originally used uncured rubber)

The rubber was installed onto the glass with about 50 mm extending toward the outside of the door to prevent the channels from rusting (due to water coming down the glass) the glass & rubber were then inserted into the channels.

My channels came away from the glass with carefull pressure from a screwdriver. The channels were then rustproofed & cleaned before installing the glass & rubber with Sikaflex.

The quarter windows were re-installed into the frame using uncured rubber. The uncured rubber is available from Spectrum Rubber & is inserted after wiping the rubber with Turps. The glass goes in very easily & excess can be trimmed off.

The windscreen & rear window were fitted by Ralph Moore for about $250, I provided the glass.
smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2008, 08:13:53 PM »

thanks for that, i was unsure what was the best way to install the new side windows.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: